Can anyone identify this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa

Reaction score
Have some stuff coming up that keeps coming back after I kill it, due to all the burs it produces (See pics). First thought it was a type of clover but don't think so now. It stays very low to the ground (no more than about a half inch high), has long runners, and veined leaves that range from the size of a quarter down to size of a baby's thumbnail. It seems to wait until late summer to come up. No one here can identify it, including the county agent and the extension service guys. Anyone ever seen it? What would kill it that wouldn't kill the bermuda grass it is invading? Thanks.

plant.jpg

plantburs.jpg
plantcloseup.jpg

We have it. I just call it a prickle.

I have killed it with my weed wand which takes glysophate. So I just wipe it on what I want to get rid of and leave what I want to keep. That is supposed to kill roots and all.

A friend also sprayed it with something else, which was supposed to kill the seeds as well. I will see him tonight so I will ask him what he used for you, and whether it also kills grass.

I asked. He calls it Khaki weed (sp?) and said that the stuff he uses doesn't kill grass. But he couldn't remember off the top of his head what spray he uses. I might find out on the weekend.

We have them in Central Tx I notice them more in the yard area, put your knee down in them is about like prickly pears and the stickers stick to the soles of your shoes and come off in the carpet, then stick in your feet when you walk across the carpet barefoot , they make a sore and have to rot out of your skin, leaves a sore spot for weeks, I call the the same as the son of a female dog weed.

those are what we call cuckleburrs.an they will keep coming back.we shredded 1 pasture 3 times because of cukleburrs.next year i think we might try spraying them.even though i dont beleive in using chemicals.but theyve gotten to bad.

bigbull338":3tphec8j said:
your right they aint cokleburrs.an what he has looks to big tobe sand burrs.

and you haven't really danced till you step on one in your bare feet that's stuck in the carpet :help:

my dog gets cokleburrs on her some.an she leaves them in the garage.an ill step on them in my socks.an yes i do a dance till i can get them off.

Thanks, everyone. The Khaki weed is it. I haven't seen any livestock eating it but thought I had it wiped out until it came back with a vengeance late this summer. There is so much of it, I need to find something besides just a spot killer. Thanks for the website; it is great info.

Sandburrs are a grass, guys. :D That's some nasty stuff you have there, Grandpa. Glad I don't have any of it.

I haven't really noticed the animals eating it. But it gets on the wheels of the machinery to spread around. It is Spring now so I will take above advice and get into it.

Latest posts