Can a calf be alone or does he needs a buddy?

Help Support CattleToday:

northerner

Reaction score
I have a situation that is first for me, and I am not sure which way to choose.

I have 6 calves, 3 steers and 3 heifers, 600 to 700 lb weight range. Original plan was to raise them to this target weight and take them to the barn sale.

Now, one of the steers has a ring worms with a single large spot right on his face. When it just started I treated him with the fluid film (advice from my local Mennonite neighbour). To my surprise and relief none of the other 5 got it and the original steer did not develop no other bald spots.

Which brings me to my dilemma, I have to take 5 and sell them. But can I leave him alone until he develops immunity and the hair grows back or does he needs a buddy and I have to sell only 4 leaving one to be with him?

He will be fine by himself. He would be a good candidate to push feed to and put in the freezer if that is something in your future plans. no advise from me on selling with ringworm since I'm not a buyer.

Ringworm is common in young animals and isn't a health threat. Normally buyers ignore it & bid according to the quality of the animals but with the market in the tank you might take a hit on that particular animal. All due respect to those who stated he'd be fine sans company I heartily disagree.

Latest posts