Can a 63 hp IH 640 tractor operate a Hesston 5540 Rnd Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Brente

Reaction score
I have a 63 hp IH 640 diesel tractor and wanting to round bale my hay. I have found a Hesston 5540 round baler in pretty good shape. I'm getting conflicting opinions on the ability of my tractor to power the baler. My question is will it power it or suggest another model baler. Baling about 40 acres per year.

As long as you keep the drive chain adjusted correctly, everything in good condition, the hay is dry and it's pretty level ground you can probably pull it with your tractor but it's going to be working pretty hard.

I don't think that it will be a problem at all. I pull a similar sized Vermeer baler with a 65 hp JD with no strain at all.

Brente":18ddz31i said:
I have a 63 hp IH 640 diesel tractor and wanting to round bale my hay. I have found a Hesston 5540 round baler in pretty good shape. I'm getting conflicting opinions on the ability of my tractor to power the baler. My question is will it power it or suggest another model baler. Baling about 40 acres per year.

I pulled a 745 with a 50 on level ground no problems.
If I was baling on hilly field I switched to a 65 hp tractor pretty good strain pulling a steep hill and it was almost full.

You should be fine. I had that identical baler and pulled it with a 60 hp ford with unloaded tires on moderate slopes. I will say a little more hp and weight would have been nicer but it handled it pretty good. With just 40 acres I would say you'll be fine. On flat ground no problem.

Latest posts