Calving out Heifers for others

Help Support CattleToday:

Being the devil's advocate:

What if you took in a group of heifers to calve, and they all had small pelvis'. Then to make matters worse they were bred to a bull that throws big calves. So you go through the calving season working your butt off pulling calves, saving a decent amount but losing some. How do you calculate a fee for this? The amount of calves saved could be directly related to the bull bred to instead of your experience. This is a hard one. Personally, I don't trust my heifers with anyone...

You think I would get a answer on the breeds board? I know these heifers quite well, I know who A.I. them and who the clean up bull was. I also know the A.I. bulls. I also know the quy that owns them as well. Some think of the cattle buisness as---- a buisness. They purchase cattle as a investment, and pay others to do the work. Would I trust other's with my heifer's? You bet, but I have people I trust for that. So when I'm rich I will pay them to clave them out. No different than buyin a group of heifers and calvin them out; except I know more about these heifers than a boutin group.

Have only done it a few times, but charged $20 per head in addition to regular feed and maintenance charges.