calving in snow

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I am in the middle of calving and have over a foot of snow and am going to get more this week. How hard is it on the calves being in the snow, how will it affect them? I have had them in a couple of inches but not feet.

I'd be more worried about the cold/wind than the snow..but if its snowing its probably those things too :p Make sure they have somewhere to go to get out of the elements and keep an eye on them. Watch for frostbite. They should be fine for the most part, just keep a whether eye, make sure they are getting dried off, etc. We've had plenty born right in snowbanks :D good luck

Since I don't know your set up I will just give a bit of advise.

I have in the past posted pics of our calves in snow. We like to put out straw for the calves to bed down in, they stay pretty warm then.
As for newborn calves we will bring them in the barn and put the pair in a pen. As long as they are out of the wind the better.
We also have an open shed we open for the pairs when the weather is really bad. The cows will lead their calves in and bed them down in that shed.
If we can catch the cow calving and get her inside before she drops the calf even better.

Good luck. I will trade you that snow for the bitter wind chill we have right now. ;-) :D

We dont have a barn big enough for all of the cows so they stay outside all the time. If a can catch them before they calve I will put them inside but dont very often do that. The cows have brush and woods to get out of the wind. I was wondering if they would freeze before they could get dried off.

c farmer":38ado1y8 said:
We dont have a barn big enough for all of the cows so they stay outside all the time. If a can catch them before they calve I will put them inside but dont very often do that. The cows have brush and woods to get out of the wind. I was wondering if they would freeze before they could get dried off.
What kind of temps are we talking? Calves won't usually freeze unless its pretty darn cold. I have a few that will get their ears nipped a bit but they are tough little buggers. Keep them out of the wind and you should be fine. I would put down some straw or some sort of bedding. The cows and calves will snuggle in and keep plenty warm enough.

novaman":14tqkdhq said:
c farmer":14tqkdhq said:
What kind of temps are we talking? Calves won't usually freeze unless its pretty darn cold. I have a few that will get their ears nipped a bit but they are tough little buggers. Keep them out of the wind and you should be fine. I would put down some straw or some sort of bedding. The cows and calves will snuggle in and keep plenty warm enough.

Right now ours lows are in the single digits and teens and highs in the 20s and 30s.

Red Bull Breeder":33g0u3q7 said:
As ling as they get dryed off and a belly full of milk they will be ok.
Exactly!
In 1978 we had all but one of our first calf heifers in the barn.Bedded in straw,manure forked up twice a day.All but one got scours and one died.The one which we could not get in stayed out with the older cows calving in the snow with nothing but cedars and other trees for cover in between two cleared ridges.Calf did fine.Never had much use for cattle in a barn since.

Red Bull Breeder":2wrpf17u said:

So how do they get dryed other than the mother licking it clean?

c farmer":3ejege7g said:
Red Bull Breeder":3ejege7g said:

So how do they get dryed other than the mother licking it clean?
Watch and make sure mom does the job or go out there with a towel and help out. Or if they have somewhere warm to go they'll dry out.

That is pretty much the one way to get the calf dry unless you want to bring it inside and dry it yourself with towels, a space heater or blow dryer.
We have a calf warming box that we put chilled calves into. Paid for its self that first year. We used to grab cold calves and throw them on the floor board of the truck with the heater going full bore. We saved a few and lost a few too.

We had an old cow years ago that had her calf, got it dried off and nursed before the hubby even found (I wasn't around then) it was -30 below zero with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

There is no "one answer" fits all. Depends on your location. Here in upstate NY, I do everything I can to make sure the COW carries the calf into the barn (before calving :lol: ) because if she calves outside, there is a big chance the calf won't survive. If I save just one calf a year by being inside our barn, it is all worth it. Our barn is pretty much the same temp as outdoors (not very airtight) but, there is bedding and NO WIND. I have had "surprises" outside during the night & found calf frozen to the ground. Was it born dead? don't know, and don't want a repeat if possible. Some nights a calf could survive, some nights they couldn't.

c farmer":2bnx3ftd said:
I am in the middle of calving and have over a foot of snow and am going to get more this week. How hard is it on the calves being in the snow, how will it affect them? I have had them in a couple of inches but not feet.

Are they penned, or are they on pasture? You stated in another post that they have woods and brush to get out of the wind. Snow certainly does not help, but the cold and wind is you're real enemy. If these are first time heifers, I would consider penning them so I could watch them and intervene if necessary. I would also keep straw or trash hay spread out in a sheltered spot in the corral for them to calve on. You might be surprised at how many will go to the straw/trash hay to calve. Otherwise, about all you can do is to check them as often as possible, and intervene when needed.

msscamp":36g1m5x4 said:
c farmer":36g1m5x4 said:

Are they penned, or are they on pasture? You stated in another post that they have woods and brush to get out of the wind. Snow certainly does not help, but the cold and wind is you're real enemy. If these are first time heifers, I would consider penning them so I could watch them and intervene if necessary. I would also keep straw or trash hay spread out in a sheltered spot in the corral for them to calve on. You might be surprised at how many will go to the straw/trash hay to calve. Otherwise, about all you can do is to check them as often as possible, and intervene when needed.

They are out in pasture, had 1 calf the other night 19 degrees and 50 mph winds. Got out to check it and thet where laying behind a big red briar patch and the cow was laying on the wind side of the calf. The calf was dryed off and nice and warm.

Latest posts