Calving Ease EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

ksnewb

Reaction score
While looking at the EPD's of a bull I notice a Birth Weight and I also notice a number for Calving Ease. It makes sense to me that if a cow (especially heifer) was to have a smaller calf the calving would be easier. I guess my question is what all is used to decide the Calving Ease number. I am sure Birth Weight is used, but there must be something else, because they don't appear to directly effect each other. (Although they are similar.) Thanks

the Calving Ease EPDs are mostly based on the amount of assistance needed in direct progeny and direct progeny of the contributing generations. the BW EPD contributes some, but it is mainly based on amount of assistance.

Aero":1c2c7x61 said:
the Calving Ease EPDs are mostly based on the amount of assistance needed in direct progeny and direct progeny of the contributing generations. the BW EPD contributes some, but it is mainly based on amount of assistance.

Which might be related to pelvic measurements?

MikeC":3j0brf29 said:
Aero":3j0brf29 said:

Which might be related to pelvic measurements?

as far as i know, pelvic measurements are not used in the calculations of EPDs, but i would say they are mostly related to CE EPDs, especially CEM.

Latest posts