Calving Camera

Help Support CattleToday:

wisjock

Reaction score
Does anyone here have video cameras to watch cows during the calving season? If so, did they work well when set up properly? Was it a live video feed or was it pictures every so often? Where did or where would you recommend a camera system?

I think your looking for a webcam. I saw on another thread where a guy had webcams set up around his farm because he lived so far away. He gave a website where you can get them. Ill look for it.

Horse breeders use them pretty routinely. Of course you'll need to pen the cows up! It would take a lot of cameras to pan your entire pasture!

wisjock":23x4rruu said:
Does anyone here have video cameras to watch cows during the calving season? If so, did they work well when set up properly? Was it a live video feed or was it pictures every so often? Where did or where would you recommend a camera system?
Jeanne-SimmeValley does.

Wife worked at a horse farm where they had them in each stall. Pretty neat idea but there's some things you're better off not seeing, I'd wind up worrying the darn cows to death. Why not take the camera money and invest in a calving-ease bull?

cfpinz

Yes, I have 4 cameras & a receiver. It is a live pic, that you view on your TV (from your bed or wherever). They are wide-screen, so I can see 4 whole pens. The receiver has a button that you push to switch from camera to camera (pen to pen). Mine were cheap - like $175 for receiver & 1 camera, and each additional camera was $100. Initial investment was from hubby to me for Christmas. We added more cameras later (gifts mostly). Mine is an Emerson, wireless, but the range is only about 100'. Found in some oddball catalog.
I LOVE THEM!! I no longer "sneak" out to see what's going on - they always see you & quit labor - which extends the length of time to deliver - which is more stress on calf.
I don't wonder if they nursed - I can watch - from bed.
I'll have to research them again. Have a new barn that we will be also using for calving. It's further away, so I'll have to find a further range wireless. I've seen some advertised in publications, but they were pretty pricey. Cheap is good for me! They are in color & also have audio. Not always the best reception (weather affects mine) but good enough to see what's going on.
Even with the BEST calving ease bull - you can have dystocia due to malpresentations. That's pretty much the only time we need to intervene.

Latest posts