Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Gonna sort all calves 400 pounds plus and get to the sale with them tomorrow. No rain for two months equal pasture playing out fast. What will they bring? who knows but I will take whatever as usual.

hurleyjd said:
Gonna sort all calves 400 pounds plus and get to the sale with them tomorrow. No rain for two months equal pasture playing out fast. What will they bring? who knows but I will take whatever as usual.

Yea dry here but i been rotating and i only have 21 total so lasts longer. I hope they do well I am hoping to have a increase when my calves are ready.

I just don't see good feeder demand with higher grain prices and lower fat cattle prices... Could be some big corn silage piles later.

Packers are doing very very well currently. I saw a guess of 3 to 6 months before the Tyson fire and the fat cattle "glut" is behind us.

Suppose I should retain more heifers? :|

Prices for calves have actually come up a little bit this week on moderate demand. The number of cattle sold has been very low and this maybe what has bumped the price up some. Buyers are not real interested in unweaned calves in this heat.

I think there was a small run of cattle Friday. The Average weight of the calves was 375.59 Lbs. Average price after commission was 535.63 for an average price of $149 per lb.

What age were these calves?? Seems like $1.49/lb for unweaned calves is decent for what the market has been doing. I'm hoping for $1.50, but won't be until October and they will all be pre-conditioned sold direct to a feedlot.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
hurleyjd said:
I think there was a small run of cattle Friday. The Average weight of the calves was 375.59 Lbs. Average price after commission was 535.63 for an average price of $149 per lb.

That's not bad all things considered.

What is the annual direct cost to keep a cow there?
Here we would be looking at $700 to $800.

SS - I don't "think" it is that high - but I was thinking the same thing. Those are his biggest calves, but they may be very young yet. He is selling because of lack of feed/resources - not because he wants to. I do not envy Hurley

Lots of numbers out there on annual cow costs. I know it can cost more in the snow country. Highest numbers I have seen are from the USDA. They add up a regional number that includes overhead.

I don't figure it every year. Used to be right around $440-470. Then it's creeped up to $545+.
I take fertilizer, fuel, feed, breeding, vet, meds, etc and other IRS expenses allowed into the figure against cows. And you are soooo right. Location, location.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
What age were these calves?? Seems like $1.49/lb for unweaned calves is decent for what the market has been doing. I'm hoping for $1.50, but won't be until October and they will all be pre-conditioned sold direct to a feedlot.

About six month average. The $1.49 per lb is after all commission and deducts that we have to pay the auction barn. I have sold cheaper calves in my lifetime and some higher. The cheaper calves many years back actual had more buying power than the calves I am selling now. Do you folks figure the cost of land in your budgets. Land in my area would probable average $4000 an acre. There are no payments for equipment and mortgages. Only expense for the land is the taxes.

Land & Cattle Company :

- Cattle business is charged the going rental rate in your area to pay for the pasture they eat. This is why high ROI ranching stars usually rent at least part of their land.

- Land business gets the rent - - but is charged taxes, mortgage, and infrastructure expenses. This is why it is usually hard to cash flow ag land...

On Friday august 23 the Winnsboro Livestock Auction Winnsboro Texas only had a little over 100 head. Emory at Emory Texas had 587 head at their Tuesday Auction. No report could be found for Emory Saturday sale.

Latest posts