calves coughing

Help Support CattleToday:

bggoff

Reaction score
I have a group of cattle on feed.Two of them have started coughing constantly it sounds like a dog bark.I thought it might be dust in the feed so I moved them to another field away from the full feed.Any ideas?

Dust, Pnumonia, lungworms, alergy, two pack a day habit? Lots of possibilities. If it persists and you have taken care of afore mentioned then call a Vet.

i had two calves get sick obout a week ago. Same symptoms. It had been really hot and in the evenngs it would shower enough that the calves would start shivering. i would treat now. Nu-Flor or simillar.

Scotty

If you have new or stressed calves that start to cough you need to be concerned about Bovine Respiratory Disease. Some will get better on their own - - others will get worse.
I would mix some medicated crumbles into their feed, and have antibotics ready is their eyes or nose starts to run, or if you can hear congestion when they exhale.

You have received some good advice so far. I would treat for pneumonia first. Nuflor would also be my choice of treatment. It could be BRD which will be covered by the Nuflor as well. As stated in another reply, I would also treat for lung worms as well. This time of year, especially with this heat you have to watch your stock for everything between pinkeye to pneumonia. Stay on it and you will get control.

Latest posts