Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
One of my young heifers should be calving within the next month to month and a half. She is a small brangus baldy and it is going to be her first calf. I'm kinda worried about her having trouble during birth, and possibly dying. Does anyone have any advice, or anything that would sooth my mind.

Thanks,
DBC

dbc":1g2t4519 said:
One of my young heifers should be calving within the next month to month and a half. She is a small brangus baldy and it is going to be her first calf. I'm kinda worried about her having trouble during birth, and possibly dying. Does anyone have any advice, or anything that would sooth my mind.

Thanks,
DBC

Most of them have the first calf with no problem.

What's she bred to?

Get her somewhere that you can keep an eye on her.

If you're feeding her, feed in the evening. That increases her chances of calving in the daytime.

Good luck....

Dbc,

Is there anything that makes you think that she will have a problem?

Like Frankie said, what type of bull is she bred to?

Do you know how old she is? By that I mean, was she bred too early?

Either take Frankie's advice, or sell her and replace her with a bred cow. Calving out heifers is really not a good business for worriers. There's really nothing else you can do this far out except maybe keep her from getting too fat. And that's no guarantee against problems.

dbc,
It's only natural to worry about it. If you know close to when she is going to calf make sure she is penned up around this time so when it's time you can intervene if necessary. Just keep a close eye on her when it's close and have the vets # nearby just in case. Most of the time it will take a heifer longer to calve that first time. If the calf presents and she goes more than a hour without any progress in the delivery I would assist in the birth.

She will be around 2 years wehn she has the calf, and she was either bred to an angus or a brangus bull. a neighbors bull got into our pasture so im not sure which one it was. thanks everyone
DBC

Posting in forums can take over your life! Get out while you still can! :lol: J/K... I agree with that.:lol::lol:

I wouldn't feed a first calf heifer anything but good hay and minerals the last 30 to 45 days before she has a calf. That's when the most growth of the calf occurs. Not too much bag feed.

Latest posts