calf work

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score

We finished up working the last group of calves today. We didn't do a bunch just wormed and tattooing but having the tattoo done prior to weaning processing sure speeds up the process. On top of that getting wormer in them will help especially as wet as it is. We also get weights on all of them. When we were at the Cattlemen's convention I told a fella that I thought my herd bull sired calves were out performing both my ET and my AI calves. He looked at me like I had two heads lol. So after I got all the weights in and calculated by sire group I now have hard data to back up my claim. The heaviest group thus far are out of our D45 bull closely followed by our D26 bull it isn't by a bunch but the calves out of both the bulls are gaining .2 pounds more per day. I can't take credit for the D45 bull I purchased him as an egg so not my breeding. I guess I can get credit for purchasing some really good eggs. The D26 bull has been a favorite since birth, both his dam and grand dam are Pathfinder cows that were bred in our herd. He is AI sired but I feel I can claim that he is my breeding, he is sure doing us a good job. Anyway it sure tickled me.

Gizmom

Thanks yes this group is out of the young cows we worked old cows and calves last week. Majority are Oct calves.

Vince

We do have customers that only want AI sired calves, but just as many that just want a good bull. I think our herd sires are as good as many of the bulls in AI studs, We have worked hard to reach a point that I feel I can say that.

Gizmom

They look good. Good for you in having a good following of bull buyers. I think everyone that sells bulls should strive to have their walking bulls outperform the ai and et calves.

Latest posts