calf with hurt mouth ??

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
This calf just came up looking like this about 5 weeks ago. Got him home where I could put in shoot and every thing feels fine and looks fine other than a bruise on the top front gums. Calf seems to eat ok plus he is still on the cow, this cow will raise the best calf of all my cows but seems like this year he didn't grow quite as good as most years. any ideas as to what's going on? He was not born like that

I am thinking about just feeding him out and putting him in the freezer , I never have did that before but I know they would dock me so much I may just try my luck feeding him out. If I do I will be asking advise on a feeding program for him

thanks KB

RanchMan90":1qxiqymh said:
Take him to the vet. He's still worth something
Maybe I was misunderstood I never said he was not worth something, but when cattle gets cheap they dock you for every little thing. He eats fine and is growing so he may be worth more to me to raise up and butcher than to sell at a reduced rate.
Workinonit Farm":1qxiqymh said:
I wonder if there's some nerve damage, to the facial nerves.
my guess is he has a cracked jaw seems to be kind of off set to me ? at first I thought it was a snake bite or a thorny piece of a blackberry vine stuck in his mouth between his teeth and lips. after I saw the bruise I think he was probably kicked in the mouth. Looking at the pictures it looks almost like he has had a stroke.
I sure don' care to take my stock to the vet, and do, but I do not think they can help this one. The biggest problem with him is it makes him look bad , but I don't think it will effect the meat when that time comes.

If he has no trouble eating or drinking, and he's gaining and growing, then I sure wouldn't worry about it. Makes sense to grow him out for your freezer.

How old is he & when do you plan to wean him? Did you try Dex or Banamine to reduce the swelling?

I had a 5 week old calf that evidently got kicked so bad it split her gums & her lower teeth were protruding out of her mouth. There wasn't even enough tissue for the vet to stitch her back together so he cleaned her up, gave her a hefty dose of penicillin & banamine & sent us home, I continued with the flushing & banamine for a few more days. Amazingly she could still nurse & kind of graze. We just weaned her last weekend & you have to really look to still see some swelling (or scarring on her gums) and she's as big as the other heifers.

Hope your guy turns out okay but agree, he's probably going to end up in your freezer.

TCRanch he is around 6 mo. and would like to wean now but was letting him stay because of his mouth. will probably wean with in the next couple week. I have not gave him any meds. Acts fine now, grazing fine, even eats cubes with the other cattle when I give them some every few days, just some to keep them coming in and gentle.

Latest posts