calf walking on knuckles

Help Support CattleToday:

haase

Reaction score
Had a calf born the other night,and when I went to check on it in the morning I noticed it was walking on its front knuckles, It would try to stand on its hooves for a while and then go back to its knuckles, called the vet and they said it has to do with the tendons from the way they were laying inside the cow, vet said to give it a shot of bo-se and la 200 and give it a week to 10 days and should start getting better, first time I have had this happen.

Usually refered to as "bumble foot" You can leave it alone and it will be all straightened out in a month or put splints on them and it will be all straightend out in 4 weeks.
Actaully it usually only takes a couple of days to a week

we had one do that this year. We pinned it up with mother so we could catch him. Worked his feet at morning and once at night. Next day was alot better. by the second night she was doing a lot better. Released her the next morning and all is well. We did not want momma to walk to different pastures and calf not keep up.

yea Dun, the vet said it would straighten itself out in a while, I guess the shots are suppose to speed it up, we will see.

alisonb":3birc081 said:
I wonder what the LA 200 was for? Sortof when in doubt give LA 200....
To make the owner feel better.................

dun":331iyuqr said:
alisonb":331iyuqr said:
I wonder what the LA 200 was for? Sortof when in doubt give LA 200....
To make the owner feel better.................
My Vet said that some folks theorize that the "contracted tendons" are due to excess calcium, he said that equine folks use LA200 for this as it "breaks down" calcium (?) so we we used it on a calf, he had me do low doses over a 3 day period and give probios with it for 5 days. This calf was the worse I had ever seen and I think the treatment may have helped. But who knows could have been the one week treatment vs the seven day treatment too? :???:

Had a few calves born like that - Every single one of them got over it on their own in a week it two with no help & no lasting effects - Just keep the momma close where the calf won't have to move too far.

Latest posts