Calf teat preference

Help Support CattleToday:

lynnmcmahan

Reaction score
I was out doing my afternoon rounds in the calving pasture and I notices a three week old calf sucking. What got my attention was the cow's back utter was squirting milk like a water gun. It did that nonstop for about 3 or 4 minutes. In the mean time the calf was going back and forth on the front two utters that appeared to be sucked flat. The calf was on the opposite side of the cow from me so I backed up to see if it would come around and find the golden egg. Sure enough, the calf came around and stuck her nose to the existing stream but would not take it. She went back to the front flats. How do you figure??????????

I would say the calf is like men, some start on the left , some on the right, same with the calf, whatever makes them happy.

curtis":1kfe9naa said:
I would say the calf is like men, some start on the left , some on the right, same with the calf, whatever makes them happy.

ROFLMAOOOO.... :lol: :lol:

We have a couple xbred cows - part brangus..way back - that make the calves suck all 4 quarters by pushing them to each quarter and then turning around to assure the other side is sucked as well. Their heifers have repeated this with their calves. They are fairly heavy milkers.
Valerie

vclavin":2gsgcrl9 said:
We have a couple xbred cows - part brangus..way back - that make the calves suck all 4 quarters by pushing them to each quarter and then turning around to assure the other side is sucked as well. Their heifers have repeated this with their calves. They are fairly heavy milkers.
Valerie
Val that's just the "brangus" trying to teach those Angus how to raise a calf. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts