Calf Tables

Help Support CattleToday:

lucky7chief

Reaction score
I'm looking at calf tables because I'm getting too old to bend over in the chute to castrate calves. It's a long day to do 50 at a time. I usually round up around 2 months of age. For those that have used one, what are the features I should look for? What brands have you liked?

I have a preifert that I like okay but it doesn't have a rear leg pulley and that would be mandatory for me if I was in the position to not feel like fighting with a calf. It's fine on small calves but with a big bull calf on the table they can really kick the snot out of you while you're cutting them.

cow pollinater":3mdkg4my said:
I have a preifert that I like okay but it doesn't have a rear leg pulley and that would be mandatory for me if I was in the position to not feel like fighting with a calf. It's fine on small calves but with a big bull calf on the table they can really kick the snot out of you while you're cutting them.

Have an old red Powder River calf table that works good. Leg holder thing on it is a joke, we always had the guy pushing the calves hold the leg with a rope.

Takes some doing to switch the headgate if you need it on the opposite end is the only thing I have against the old Powder River chutes. If you need to switch directions for brands on opposite sides, there are calf tables that can be turned around more easily :idea:

I don't need my calf table anymore, I'd sell it but the shipping would cost too much :p :p :p

lucky7chief":39da27on said:
I'm looking at calf tables because I'm getting too old to bend over in the chute to castrate calves. It's a long day to do 50 at a time. I usually round up around 2 months of age. For those that have used one, what are the features I should look for? What brands have you liked?

I want a calf table, for the exact same reason as you. Haven't gotten one yet. I can say after standing by several at a trade show, I thought priefert was the hands down winner. I bought a new bander a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking that may enable me to spend a shorter amount of time on the ground. The calf tables aren't really expensive, but i would personally have to do some remodeling of my facilities to accomodate one. Considered butting it up to my chute, when I'm working calves. Seemed like a chore that I may not look forward to. My jury is still out, but there is some definate advantages to working calves in one.

We use one at our place and the place I help out on. Don't know the brand of ours(20+ years old and several paintings later) but prefer the Preifert at the other place. Ours has the scissor style gates(think hydraulic squeeze chute type) that hinge off the bottom. The thing I like about the Preifert is just one side of the chute moves and there aren't any springs like on ours. At a younger age, we used to throw them all then moved up to crowding them in the long chute. Now everything goes through the calf table and it is awesome.

I don't like going through my squeeze chute, palp cage and ally with calves. Way to much opportunity to turn around on us.

Latest posts