calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
we took a few calves to the sale last friday an got the check today.now mind you these calves was dryed out.as they was just on pasture with a little hay an meal.they brought .94 an $1.12 a lb.they aved $1.03 a lb.havent seen the check on the other bunch of calves that was with them but i bet they aved over $1 a lb as well.i figure they are down .05 to .10 a lb.but still a good price for the calves.

I sold a couple at Wharton on Wed.
One was a 6 month old Milking Shorthorn/Jersey steer. He weighed 450 lbs and brought 95 cents/lb. I was shocked. My husband said that he must have run around so fast no one noticed the dairy. He was a beautiful shorthorn red color.

I was *happy* when I got the check.

you got a real good price for your calf as well.theres such a shortage of calves to go on feed that the dairy breeds are taking up the slack more an more in the feedlots.

What size calves were they? That sounds a little cheap but I realize there is a lot of differences in areas and not many in your area are returning to the farm. I bought the 450-510 lb heifers here today with them averaging 476 and costing from 1.18 to 1.30.

KT those 2 calves weighed 605 an 565lbsi dont know what the other 5 calves weighed.but i do know what they brought a lb,the others brought as follows $82 $82.50 $1.13 $1.13 an $1,20.i know most was prolly under 550lbs with those prices.an 2 the beefmaster bulls painted up.but the cows do have hol blood in them.the 5 calves ave $1.02 a lb.an all of them was bull calves.

Thanks, the calves were high here overall today but seems the heifers were .10 above just a week ago. I was buying for feeders but three other guys were buying to make cows. Sure made it hard for me to get what I needed. I needed 32 more than I got.

that just means you make another sale or 2 till you get them bought.an when you have 3 or 4 buyers wanting the same class of cattle means higher prices.

500lb heifers brought $1.34 here last friday, same size steers brought $1.34 to $1.54, butcher cows $$.62 to.69, and bulls about the same as cows.

Latest posts