calf not eating, shivering, head down

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Holstein bull calf 6 days old, 100lbs.

Temp 102.6

Calf was slow to eat this afternoon. Tonight was a fight to get 3 pints into him. Holding head down, and is shivering.

Manure is a touch soft, but not scours at all, (yet?)

Any ideas or suggestions?

I would put him where he is out of drafty areas and use a heat lamp. I would try to warm him up and maybe give him some pen just in case he is getting a infection. sounds like maybe pneumonia to me. If you have NuFlor I would give him about 6cc's SQ it will last for 4 days and maybe get him over this faster than the pen. Good Luck

I would add to what Chaty said, Add a non steriodal anti inflam (no anti inflam, add an asprin, just do not let him chew it.) As well as tube electrolyes. If it is the onset of scours, even just cause he did not drink much and the shivers I would give the electrolyes.

This calf is going to have a tough row to hoe I think.
Do you have bigger drugs (draxxil, baytril, neuflor, banamine, dex), any of those?
His fever ~ Did you retake temp?
Is great he is not scouring!! He will need probios soon, tomorrow.

Yes, what all the others have said . I think he is going to scour . I would start now with 2 quarts of electrolyte between meals .

Larry

Hi, 2cc of Micotil seems to work well, mine were doing the same this week and it hits the problem fast, over here the vet is the only one allowed to handle the stuff, good luck, i know what your going through

travlnusa":368asjkl said:
Holstein bull calf 6 days old, 100lbs.

Temp 102.6

Calf was slow to eat this afternoon. Tonight was a fight to get 3 pints into him. Holding head down, and is shivering.

Manure is a touch soft, but not scours at all, (yet?)

Any ideas or suggestions?

If he were mine - I would hit him with 10 cc's of penicillin, I would NOT use a heat lamp(a heat lamp will interfere with his ability to adjust to the environmental conditions, and when it's removed you're probably looking at a full-blown case of pneumonia), I would put him in a pen/shelter/shed that was free of drafts, monitor his condition, and medicate as needed.

Thank you all for your feedback and guidance.

Calf is coming back pretty good now. Scours did set in, but was ready for it and hit it hard.

Had to tube calf for a day, but now back on a bottle.

Again, thank you all