Calf Losing Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Coweena

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old red limo heifer bottle calf that has been doing great until the couple of weeks and I cant figure out whats happened. Nothing in her feed or diet has changed but shes started loosing weight and she has "cud"(I guess) on her mouth all the time now. She is constantly eating like shes starving.I have wormed her thinking maybe that was the problem but it hasnt stopped.I have also gave her A+D, and B complex.
If anyone has any experience with this, please post it. Thanks
:roll:

I dont really know, but I would give her some probios as well. Have you treated her with any antibiotics? What is her health otherwise?

Im anxious to hear other peoples replies.

Has he weather turned significantly hotter? She may be grazing more at night when it's cool and laying up to ruminate during the heat of the day. What condition are the pasures in? May be having a problem with poorer nutrition from poorer quality grass. If it's fescue, it would be right on time for her condtion to slip a bit.

Thanks, It may be the grass . Come to think of it she started loosing weight about the time our spring grass started dying out. Ive got 5 other calves out there with her but theyre not loosing weigh. Im going to run her up to the vet in the morning just to be sure because her ribs are showing now and its got me pretty worried. Shes always been very healthy and Ive not dealt with this particular problem before.

Coweena":3f54avqn said:
Thanks, It may be the grass . Come to think of it she started loosing weight about the time our spring grass started dying out. Ive got 5 other calves out there with her but theyre not loosing weigh. Im going to run her up to the vet in the morning just to be sure because her ribs are showing now and its got me pretty worried. Shes always been very healthy and Ive not dealt with this particular problem before.

Some animals just require a higher plaine of nutrition then others. It's actaully a pretty good way to select replacements. If they can;t do it on grass they sure don;t need to stay in the gene pool.

Coweena":96qzxcp0 said:

Going to the vet...always a good idea. Let us know what ya' find out, will ya'? :)

Alice

Latest posts