Calf hair coming out.

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
If you remember back in the spring I had a calf with a broken leg. After the cast came off in 6 weeks it's hair started coming out. I'd seen calves lose hair in patches before but this one lost most of it's hair. Looked awful. He ate good and felt good though. We had another one start losing large amounts of hair 2 weeks ago. We washed him in 10% bleach solution, let it stay on for 15 minutes and washed him in fresh water. He stopped losing hair and the crusty skin under it cleared up in about 3 days. I hope it will help others with this problem since the vet nor anyone else seemed to know what it was. Thanks Baron

Sounds like a rash formed when the cast was on. Moisture trapped in between the skin and cast.

Scotty

No, it didn't start on the leg. It was the whole calf. The legs were the last thing to lose hair.

Puzzled. My FIL had one went bald in a few days. I thought it was a ring worm. He bleached the animal(10% solution) and the hair came back. It was a dark red calve. Now hw is a nearly blk calve.

Scotty

Yeah, nobody seems to know what it is but several people have had it happen. I have had people say everything from fever to antibiotics and many other guesses but this is the only thing that has stopped it fast. Everybody says don't worry it will come back. But I'm glad to have something to end it before it gets too bad.

Scotty":3ofe5tir said:
Puzzled. My FIL had one went bald in a few days. I thought it was a ring worm. He bleached the animal(10% solution) and the hair came back. It was a dark red calve. Now hw is a nearly blk calve.

Scotty
That's easier, cheaper, and faster than using Angus bulls! :idea:

He's fine now. I was just posting the bleach bath as help to anyone who runs into this themselves. They are all well now and doing great. Thanks for the input though.

Latest posts