Calf from a show Heifer - stiff legged

Help Support CattleToday:

AdamT

Reaction score
Located in north Texas, small town East of McKinney Texas.

First and foremost thanks for reading this and I am relatively new to the whole cattle arena. Love it... but new to it and the only exposure I have had has been the last 3 years- all dealing with show heifers and steers, no claves until this year. My daughter on the other hand wants to go to Vet school at Texas A&M and has a tremendous amount of exposure and work eithic. She has volunteered at the vet over 800 hours and is in a vet science class, ranked #1 academically to try and better her chances of getting accepted into vet school. The only reason I tell you my daughters background a little is to show how determined she is in trying to get this bull calf right.

She (junior in high school in FFA and 4H) currently has a Chianina, bred earlier this year. The Chi was breed by Ai to Ali Solution (smaller birth weight calves typically). The Chi gave birth to a bull calf on 10/19/14 @ 9:30PM ~65 pound calf, took 2 1/2 hours before the calf stood up - didn't think it was normal. Did not notice him eat for 12 hrs so we took him to the vet that morning where he was given colostrum via a tube feeding, a couple of shots - I think antibiotic and steroid of some sort (didn't write it down and should have - lessoned learned), and iodine on the cord. By 5PM that day he began eating off of mom and has been eating ever since.

Initially I thought he looked awfully stiff when standing and moving around but figured it was just that he was a new born. Here is the problem as of today, 11/12/14. I will post a video if it lets me but he is still really stiff (especially when first getting up) when walking, mainly his back legs. A few days ago I talked to one of our breeder friends and sent him a video and he said they call them "swingers-i.e. back legs stiff and wing" and he said there isn't much you can do about it. My daughter whom is determined to make this calf right called the vet this past Monday and he is having us give him a shot of Dex (I think 1CC daily) and 1 shot of Bo-Se weekly (behind the shoulder subcutaneous- don't know the dose off hand). My daughter is also doing what I call massage therapy and stretching (per vets recommendation) on all his limbs 3 times a day. She goes after school at about 3:30PM and does it for about 15 minutes per side - 30 minutes total , then again at 10PM and again at 6:30AM before school. It does appear to help but only short term. He likes to lay down a lot probably because he is so stiff so once he lays for awhile he stiffens back up.

The cows are kept at our AG barn in pens that are 10' x 18', they are let out in the turn out area daily for majority of the day (thought was to help loosen him up more) with other cows and they are brought in at night. Sometimes we just bring them in for feeding and turn them back out. My daughter is determined to get this calf right and be able to show it her senior year so I was hoping some of the more experienced people on this site could help us with any other possible solutions to get this calf loosened up and too stay loosened up or whether or not your think we on the right path and just continue what we are doing. Thanks so much for any insight you may have...oh and by the way the calf appears to be totally fine outside of his walking described above. Thanks again and I cant figure out how to get the video in here.

I'll throw out some random thoughts for you. Others can correct me or share their experience.

First, did the vet not tell you what he thought was the problem? That's where I would start, since he actually saw the calf.

Apparently he thinks possible selenium problem since your are giving those shots. Have your daughter research white muscle disease.

Don't know what you were feeding the cow, but some feeds and some areas of the country have less selenium. Good to give cow a shot well before birth to get more selenium in the calf. And give calf a shot at birth. And there are mineral supplements with selenium in them.

Again, talk to your vet for local information.

Selenium deficiency signs vary with levels of deficiency, but generally affect muscle. Can be just weak and lay around alot, and with weak tongue, have trouble nursing. Respond well to selenium shot, which maybe your vet gave the first visit?
More severe signs are from actual muscle cell death - white muscle disease, and the stiffness, etc you describe.

More muscular breeds and higher growth calves have more problems. Seems that would include Chianina.

White muscle disease can improve with treatment, but takes some time for muscle to heal. Severe cases result in permanent damage to muscle.

You get a better diagnosis if you run blood tests for selenium levels and blood chemicals resulting from muscle damage. Your daughter will learn that many people don't want to pay for that, so she will have to do alot of guessing and giving all sorts of shots to cover the possibilities.

Many "club calf" orientated genetics have structural issues. Stiff legged, crooked legged, etc, many cripples are born on a regular basis. Some bloodlines are worse than others. I would say the calf in question is a victim of the man made show cattle industry, healthy, just can't walk.

:welcome: neighbor!

I haven't experienced this type of problem before, so I'm not going to be much help. Although our area is not know to be selenium deficient, working out of your school barn could well be a different story. Good luck!

Galloway2":1bafjwgy said:
Many "club calf" orientated genetics have structural issues. Stiff legged, crooked legged, etc, many cripples are born on a regular basis. Some bloodlines are worse than others. I would say the calf in question is a victim of the man made show cattle industry, healthy, just can't walk.
:nod: is the dam free of genetic defects? Ali Solution is PHA carrier. Many club calf bulls are PHA and TH carriers that they sometimes produced calves with structural issues. Perhaps you will have to use a clean bull on your show heifer for her second calf. As for the calf, cut him and feed him out if he is found with a genetic defect. There isn't a cure for him.

:welcome:
It sounds like everyone has given you some good things to think about and to discuss with your vet. I would say that the vet and some blood work is going to give you the best answers at this point. I would check into DNA testing of the dam for genetic defects before breeding next time.
Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try and address the questions above and we will get the vet out or take him to him to do blood work to try and get a more definite answer on what is causing the stiffness.

The calf initially went to the vet for his lack of eating within the first 12-15 hours after birth. At the time of that visit the focus was just on getting him colostrum and nothing related to how he was walking - didn't know it was an issue quite yet at that time. I did look at one video I could find on you tube of white muscle disease and our calf doesn't look like that. It appeared to be an extreme case maybe since the calf in the video had it's front legs folded under him when walking. Our calf is just straight legged. I was able to upload a video to you tube of him recently walking so maybe you all can see exactly what I am talking about - the ole picture is worth a 1000 words, see link. http://youtu.be/DoLq-T14DXE.

From the videos I saw on spastic paresis I don't think he has that. The video you shared does not look like his symptoms, in my opinion.

The dam is free of genetic defects but I will have to do more research on the whole PHA and TH carriers, not sure what that stuff is or means exactly. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming, it is much appreciated.

Unfortunately the calf of yours do looks like it has same symptoms to the calf in video that Kris posted. It will get worse when he gets older.

Have you ACTUALLY tested the dam for genetic defects or just a guess?

I am so sorry, but that IS spastic paresis. Read the thread that I linked, lots of info on it. Your calf will get that bad.
"This condition is well known in cattle and is considered to be inherited in that species. Spastic paresis is characterized by intermittent, unilateral or bilateral spastic contracture of the gastrocnemius muscle leading to hyperextension of one or both hind limbs. The hyperextension may be so extreme that the animal is unable to place the foot on the ground and the leg is carried straight behind. The hock is straight and the gastrocnemius muscle is palpably firm or knotted. It has been demonstrated that selective depression of gamma efferent neurons in the spinal cord by epidural administration of dilute procaine will alleviate the condition, indicating that the disorder occurs from overstimulation of the myotatic (stretch) reflex."

Again, that is tough. Have your vet look it up if he is not familiar with it. Sorry!

Not to get off track, but if the calf were PHA positive they would have a dead calf, some TH calves are born alive, but PHA are either aborted early by the cow or born dead.

VCC":3xc9nqqs said:
Not to get off track, but if the calf were PHA positive they would have a dead calf, some TH calves are born alive, but PHA are either aborted early by the cow or born dead.

Yea, I was going to mention that too but did not want to muddle the topic that is already bad news. And TH calves that are born alive have to be put down. Sad also, but has nothing to do with this particular calf...

Thanks for the feedback although I don't like it I have to face the fact that it very well could be SP. We are going to get him to the vet this week at some point. Assume the vet can draw blood to confirm SP? Or is it just a visual diagnosis?

Taurus...In regards to whether the Damn has been tested the answer is no. I was just going on physical characteristics and since she has been in the show ring for the past year and done well, my previous answer was based on that. I will draw blood and send it off for analysis.

Everything I have read basically states to get rid of the animal especially if it is a breeding bull, well he wasn't going to be a breeding bull and my daughter and I aren't quite ready to give up just yet. But lets say we do get rid of him within the next 2 weeks...remember I am new to this cattle business and especially the calf thing so forgive my "stupid" questions. If we get rid of the calf is there anything special we need to do with the mom...meaning will her milk just dry up from lack of feeding? I know these are questions I could be asking my vet but I don't want to bother him no stop with questions that pop up. Don't get me wrong he is a great vet, just don't want to be a burden. Besides there are great experienced people on here that can help :)

I have also attached one additional video from You Tube of the calf. The previous video was prior to giving him the Dex & Bo-Se shot and the physical therapy that my daughter was doing and this video is after. I think there is a significant difference but I am also bias so I would like your opinion. I know I am grasping at straws here but my daughter has worked her butt off with this calf and it will be tough to tell it is time to let it go. Here is a link to the video after therapy, Dex and Bo-se...after 1 week. http://youtu.be/ml3Xge2HgOA

It do looks a bit better but he's still stiffen up and it doesn't looks like he has bending his legs at all. Has he able to lay down or get up on his own at all? But his showing days is over for him.

Yes... he gets up and down on his own and doesn't appear to struggle at all doing it. That's what I figured... his days in the ring will never materialize.

Though I still think it is SP, and agree that calf will never make the show ring, he does look better in the second video.
I have no experience raising an SP calf, so take this for what it is worth, nothing! I would continue to let the cow raise the calf. As long as the calf is thriving, and not in obvious pain, let the cow do her job but do not be afraid to make the decision to butcher the calf. I doubt you can sell him, the best best is to feed him as long as you think he is comfortable, and then have him processed for beef.
I am unaware if there is a test out there for SP, but if there is you need to make sure you always use a bull that is free. You already know your cow carries it.
Raising livestock is hard enough without all the stuff that the show genetics seems to infuse; good or bad.

Could I ask what the outcome of the calf was, we have a similar problem with a heifer calf this year but only one leg is affected. She seems to walk good but when she is standing she will not bear weight on that leg.

Latest posts