Calf feed

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I am weaning the calves this weekend and am looking for different recipes. I have plenty of corn silage, ear corn, barley, and oats to feed. I just want to see what most of feed to freshly weaned calves. They are started on silage and weigh in the 500 lb range.

I like oats to grow a calf even though i do not feed them because of the cost to buy them around here but if they were cheap or i raised them I would grow cattle with them. Slighly higher protein than corn and you dont have to process for the calves to take advantage so i would feed that at around 6lbs and then 5-6lbs for the ear corn, barley im not real familiar with but from what i know about it, it seems like pretty good feed its probably higher in energy than the ear corn becasue of the cob in the ear corn so i would mix in 2-3 lbs of the barley. That would put you in the 11 lbs of concentrate range because the cob will make up some of that weight and cob is not a concentrate. Then 10-12 lbs of silage and some supplement and id say thatd be up growing.

We start with the basic mixture of ground hay (alfalfa, grass and straw), beet pulp, and corn silage (when available). For the weaning calves (35 head) the basic mixture is top dressed with a 50 lb bag of Hubbard Range N Gro AS70 medicated pellets and 2-3 5 gal buckets of ground corn.

Latest posts