Calf escaped from processor

Help Support CattleToday:

IHFarms15

Reaction score
I recently dropped a calf off to be processed at a new processor. I was later told that it had escaped their pens. Just wondering if they are are liable for the calf as they have not been able to find it. Thanks

:welcome: sorry to hear that. I hope it can be located safely. I would think if it was dropped off during business hours and received by them the liability would be on them at that point, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how that would be worked out though.

A question that you should be asking the processor but in my opinion once they took possession of the beef it's their responsibility. What if it caused a car crash or done damage to property? You don't want the responsibility for that.
At the stockyard once it is unloaded and penned it's the yards responsibility.

I had a processor loose 3 steers about 10 years ago. He offered to pay for them but I said that doesn't help my customers who are waiting for meat. His neighbor caught them a day later.

kenny thomas said:
A question that you should be asking the processor but in my opinion once they took possession of the beef it's their responsibility. What if it caused a car crash or done damage to property? You don't want the responsibility for that.
Supposedly here at my 3 local barns once they are consigned and advertised they are responsible from time we load till we cash the check. So if one breaks a leg while loading they pay for it.

Till-Hill said:
kenny thomas said:
Supposedly here at my 3 local barns once they are consigned and advertised they are responsible from time we load till we cash the check. So if one breaks a leg while loading they pay for it.
That is good service. Seen one unload once and broke a leg.
Seen one recently slip and broke a leg in the sale ring.

kenny thomas said:
Till-Hill said:
kenny thomas said:
That is good service. Seen one unload once and broke a leg.
Seen one recently slip and broke a leg in the sale ring.
I saw one one time come into the sale ring. It ran and jumped against the solid welded pipe pen. Broke its neck. It flopped down dead in the sale ring.