Calf critique please.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Y'all give me some feedback on this Balancer calf please. He's 8 months old, 78 pound BW and 627 adjusted weaning weight. He's on about 2% of body weight 12% grower and grass hay. If you don't like him that's perfectly fine, just tell me why. I use these as learning tools. Thanks!

I'm far from an expert but I don't like his front half nearly as much as I do the rear. I would want him longer bodied and he is a little to blocky in front shoulders for me. He has plenty of muscle and thickness, tho.

He has really good volume, big ribbed, great muscle. Legs look good. But, to critique him, he is extremely pinched in the heart girth, giving the appearance of his shoulders being too big. Can't tell for sure if they are.
If you look at his top line, he dips really bad behind the shoulder and that "hollow" look goes all the way down to his chest - pinched.
Edit: really good weights.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2d16ib9o said:
He has really good volume, big ribbed, great muscle. Legs look good. But, to critique him, he is extremely pinched in the heart girth, giving the appearance of his shoulders being too big. Can't tell for sure if they are.
If you look at his top line, he dips really bad behind the shoulder and that "hollow" look goes all the way down to his chest - pinched.
Edit: really good weights.

Very good assessment Jeanne. I also agree with slick...would like to see a touch more length to him. His shoulders wouldn't scare me, but the heart girth issue is concerning.

He's got the depth and plenty of width...but he's got a weak top line,falls off past the shoulders...and slightly roached..seen plenty worse though...

I agree with a lot of what has been stated. Overall I see a lot worse that are being promoted as top bulls. To me he is what I would call a serviceable bull. Depending on how you were going to use him he might work real good.

Serviceable is a good word for him compliments of elkwc.
He appears to have inherited good beef production genes and should make good feedlot calves with depth and width.
In one picture he appears short bodied, but in the other fine.
His Major Flaw is heart girth which in turn causes his shoulder/top line issues.

IMO His role should be for serviceable terminal production, but not replacements as I believe you would have to sort
through an awful lot of his daughters to find one or two good replacements. :2cents:

slick4591":91i463mw said:
I'm far from an expert but I don't like his front half nearly as much as I do the rear. I would want him longer bodied and he is a little to blocky in front shoulders for me. He has plenty of muscle and thickness, tho.

That was my thought. But I am also a beginner.

Latest posts