calf bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

plash23

Reaction score
I know there are a few hundred post on here about bloat but I'm having so much trouble searching them I thought this would be more effective. ( Am I the only one with this problem)

Young calf and momma died. I couldn't get her to take a bottle and she seemed happy enough on feed and hay. She didn't like the calf manna and it made her have horrible scours. She likes just plain 12% sweet feed. She's out in the lot with lots of grass and getting bermuda hay. She is getting so bloated. Other than bloat ez or other similar products what can I do. I have never tubed a calf or otherwise and if I have to stick a hole in her side I'm call'n the vet. She is not bloated to the extreme she's just very round. Any info is appreciated and I know its a repeat of dozens of post but I spent hours trying to access them and got no helpful info.
tx pam
also can this be a result of her needing to be dewormed, she's pretty boney other than her belly?

Sounds more like a potbelly than bloat. Picture would be helpful.

Chances are -- her only problem is she needs better nutrition because she's being starved.

Is she getting so bloated? Or is she getting so fat? She's eating feed, hay, and lots of grass. She may just be packing on the pounds. However, bloat is a serious, serious condition and definitely not to be ignored. Why don't you give her some bloat ease stuff and see if it makes a difference? Or, ease your mind and ask a vet to take a look at her. That's your sure bet.

The only time you need to poke a knife in a bloated animal is if they are down and it's that or they die. It doesn't sound like she's at that point. And, if she's not been wormed, worm her!

As far as searching this board, I know what you mean. There are folks here than can go straight to anything they want and need and pull it right up. I'm not that skilled. :oops:

Alice

so I'm thinking potbelly, but giving her bloat meds eases my mind. So what take her out of the lot, cut back on hay, and ease her in to higher % feed?

How big is she? generally I figure a calf needs to be on milk or grain until about 6 months and around 500lbs. Before then, they just can't get all the nutrition they need from the little bit of hay/grass they eat.

I'd just increase (gradually!) her grain until she's eating 2-2.5% of her body weight daily.

but up to what % on the feed or what kind of feed?
I offer her all the feed she'll eat but she just not cleaning her plate.
I leave it and change it out everyday.
She's 3 months

Go to the feed store and get some calf starter grower. There's several brands and they're all really pretty good.

How old is this calf, by the way?

Alice

Worm her, vaccinate her, give her hay and a good quality calf starter grower. She'll eventually turn around and most likely come out looking good! It'll take a little time, but I'd bet she'll be fine.

Get in touch with your county agent...tell him/her what's going on. Ask for feed recommendations.

Alice