calf and momma w/ bloody rear ends

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
heifer calf born last friday morning... everything normal until yesterday, had a little blood on her rear end yesterday but nothing too bad, this morning was a little more, but this afternoon seemed to be better. I havent been able to catch her actually defacating... but she is confined to a fairly small pen with momma, and I cant find any real bloody stools...

she has been nursing from the get go, and has plenty of energy...

momma still hasnt cleaned up all the way either, still some blood on her rear end... could the two issues be related? Although she is a 1st calf heifer, she shouldnt have torn, the calf was only about 60 lbs....

What do i need to watch for in the next couple of days?

Have had 7 other calves in the past 2 weeks and nothing else like this has shown up...

Thanks for the help

ok this is an obviously dumb question but are you sure the blood is coming from each one and not just being rubbed on the calf from the cow?

Im pretty sure... blood seems to be confined to under the calf's tail.... i would think if it was rubbed off from momma it would be all over the "outside" of the tail. Calf's hind end is not completely covered in blood/manure, but an area about the size of your palm on either side of her tail.....

I bet they'll be fine. On the other hand I'm a gambler and I've been in the business about 6 weeks. Anyone wanna bet me?

Walt

Txwalt":3awx1tmt said:
I bet they'll be fine. On the other hand I'm a gambler and I've been in the business about 6 weeks. Anyone wanna bet me?

Walt

I would but i just blew all my money on cows.

Latest posts