calcium/minerals in creep/stocker bulk feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I need some direction here if some of you are familiar with this. I have spoken with a feed salesman/mixer here in the area and he suggests using his (naturally) feed, for one reason, is that he adds minerals to his mix. He indicated that the free choice mineral, Purina Hi-mag now with A,D and E added, but will be switched to Purina All season once they are weaned, will not supply the necessary minerals to keep the calves growing frame as good as mixing it in the feed. I would like to know from an independent source, what kinds of amounts/minerals I should be supplying to my calves. My goal with these were to hand feed them to keep them from getting too fat like they did last year. I just bumped their feed up to 44 pounds of a commodity blend 14% protein/ 3% fat sacked feed from another local feed co. I anticipate weaning in two to three weeks or so. I will have them to 56 pounds or so daily in a few more days. Just some background there for what my goals are. He said I'm limiting their fleshiness by starving them (they are still on the cow now and they don't look like they are starving) and would be better for them and get them to growing up instead of out with the calcium/minerals added. I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Any input is appreciated.
IMG_0529.jpg

Well you're not feeding much per head per day but as long as they're still sucking that's enough. Once you wean them you need to increase the feed. Keep in mind this old boy is a feed salesman. The feed should contain both vitamins and minerals but at the low feeding rate they're not getting much so won't hurt to keep out some free choice mineral. I seldom feed hi mag but do use the Purina All Season AV-4 with IGR...

Do you, or anyone else, agree that feeding the calcium in particular would enable the calves to gain height vs width? I know enough to realize that their genetics will ultimately determine the leg or frame, but will the lack of calcium required "stunt" or limit the leg or height that their genetics will allow? I have thought that time is what got the "frame" on them. For example, grazing, with maybe a minimal amount of feed, to end up with some calves that are thin, fit, green - whichever phrase you would like.

Lack of calcium will be more apt to affect the development and strength of the bone and calves will develop normally...no increased growth due to calcium intake. Calcium is the cheapest ingredient in a mineral mix and there will always be a considerable amount. The Purina mineral will contain plenty of it.

TexasBred":19zjkztg said:
Lack of calcium will be more apt to affect the development and strength of the bone and calves will develop normally...no increased growth due to calcium intake. Calcium is the cheapest ingredient in a mineral mix and there will always be a considerable amount. The Purina mineral will contain plenty of it.

Thank you TB, that's what I needed to know. Much obliged. I am reluctant to change too much in their ration, other than increasing it gradually as I near weaning and onwards, without a good verifiable reason to do so.

bcg, Thank you very much!

Latest posts