Buying Baler...need guideance

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in central Michigan. I have a 52 hp tractor. One set of hydrolics. Looking at purchasing a used round baler. Somewhat hilly ground. 25 acres to hay. Budget $ 7,000.00. Not a mechanic.

Besides buying hay, any assistance would be a great help.

Pw

JD 4x4. I would caution you that if you don't like or are not equipped to work on farm equipment then a baler is the LAST thing you want to own.

I have a 54 hp tractor and work hay baler with it. I bought a used Heston 530 when I got tired of picking up square bales. It weighs less than my square baler but around here there is a lot of hills so I have to be careful that I don't turn it over or let the bales get away. I have let a couple get away, one run through a fence and into the woods the other ended up in the creek. It isn't very complicated so it is fairly easy to work on, it only uses one hydraulic hookup and an electrical hookup for the string guide. A loader is nice but you can get by with forks or spear on the 3 point hitch. Hope this helps.

Fred

RefugeRanch":181otw48 said:
Hello,

Not a mechanic.

Pw

Haven't seen a baler yet that didn't need pickup teeth replaced, new bearing, new chain, belt relaced, etc. These are not horrbily difficult things to do, but you will need to do some basic mechanic work.

If you still want to own a baler, I'd go with a JD 446. But only because I am partial to green paint, and JD makes a quality baler.

dun":gnejpgwk said:
RefugeRanch":gnejpgwk said:
Not a mechanic.
You either will become one or you'll go broke........FAST

I agree. If you don't have the ability or don't want to repair your own equipment then either you had better be rich or don't own any equipment. Dang, the price of parts are bad enough- add in some labor and you will be living in the poorhouse.

RefugeRanch":1fxi75th said:
Looking at purchasing a used round baler. Somewhat hilly ground. 25 acres to hay. Budget $ 7,000.00. Not a mechanic.

Besides buying hay, any assistance would be a great help.

Pw

Add a cutter and hay rake to your budget also. Just normal maintenance on any type of hay equipment, requires a good understanding of how the things work. Knowing when something isn't sounding or feeling right when it is running and figuring out why its not, could save thousands in repair bills, even if your doing the repairs yourself.
If your not mechanically inclined, save the seven thousand, chances are you'll wind up buying hay anyway after the first season.

You might look into paying someone to do it for you. This graph is from an Iowa suvey, but should give you an idea of what it might cost:

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/public ... fm1698.pdf

The big downside on having it custom baled is they will usually do it on their schedule, not yours. You also might check with the dealers in your area and look into renting as an option.

Prepare to learn how to use fix and make something work.

In your area theres a lot of used Gehl balers and their cheap. I would go 5 by 4 or so. I like a fixed chamber 5 by 4 after having several different brands. I have an old Deutz it just works for the way I work hay. I have bought useable Gehl 1500a for 300, 1500 and another for 2500. I paid 2500 for the Deutz2.50gp.

I use a drum mower much cheaper and more useable than any relic or disc mower. Used drum mowers ready to use 400 to 1500.

shop off season try craigslist and the back side of major brand dealer lots

Graze your hay field and buy your hay. You will never get ahead keeping equipment for 25 acres.

Latest posts