buying a saddle

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
This is Carlos D's wife. I was looking at E Bay today and found several saddles for sale VERY CHEAP!! I'm looking for a leather, double D-ring rigging. black, no suede on seat, 16"-17" saddle. I will be using the saddle for pleasure riding & rounding up cattle, maybe a little roping (I'd like to learn). The price ranges from $1.00 on E bay to $3000.00 in some saddle shops. Saddles are quite expensive here in Canada, $2500.00. Any thoughts?

Lu

Get a good name brand, and there is a lot of difference between a trail saddle and a roping saddle, but a roping saddle is well suited for a trail saddle. Not the other way around.

Alan

if you look on ebay there is some rafter w saddles on there.i have one and you will not buy a better saddle. and you buy from the maker no middle man. there a little pricey but not when you realize it will last a life time or more thats cheep when a truck cost 25,000+and is good for maybe ten yr my rafter w saddles so good ill have to put it in my will ha ha :cboy:

Colorado Saddle is another very good brand, but tends to be pricey. Dad bought his back in 1960, 3 generations have used it and it's still going strong. Whatever brand you choose, I would recommend a yearly treatment with neetsfoot oil to keep the leather in condition and supple.

Sounds like Ford vs Chevy debate.... :D

After having gone through this very recently, I chose a Billy Cook all around for my own reasons. However, that being said, the main purpose for my needing (yes, "needing") a new saddle was that my other two saddles did not fit my 2 horses (saddles too narrow, horses too wide). So, after much research and talking to a few saddle experts, I learned alot about fitting a saddle. So, no matter what brand of saddle you decide upon, its really important that it fits the horse that you're going to put it on, or at the least is a very good fit for an average horse if you'rs is average. There's a lot of Mexican saddles being sold around here (and on eBay)for cheap, cheap, cheap, but they're built for a narrow horse and won't correctly fit a typical quarter horse. My thought was, that if I was gonna invest in a new saddle, I ought to suck it up, fork out the bucks and get one that will fit both my butt and my horses' backs. I mean, its an investment that will last a lifetime if properly taken care of so I might as well do it right.

Anycase, here's a site that will help with measuring a saddle:
http://www.arcaros.com/treemeasurement.htm

There are others out there that get pretty technical with measuring a horses back and form fitting saddles to that measurement, but I wanted something that would fit a few wide backed horses, not one in particular, so I went for the average full quarter horse bars of the Billy Cook Roper (all around) as I found out that the Billy Cook Ropers are about the widest saddles made and a little wider than their trail saddles. Of course, to make things more difficult, I found out there are no standards when measuring for full QH bars vs say, semi QH bars, so it makes finding a well fitting saddle even more difficult. Most saddle shops (even the internet ones) will let you take the saddle and try it on your horse, providing you don't get it sweaty or muddy.

All in all, a correctly fitting saddle does make a difference.

Welcome Mrs. Carlos,

I've bought a few saddles on Ebay, but my situation was that I knew the make and model I was after, but was unable to find one of those up here (Billy Cook #269 Barrel saddle - great for starting colts, and both my daughters needed decent saddles for their colts). I really prefer those Billy Cooks as you can add a pad or a bridge pad for a colt that's not done filling out and avoid soring them up, yet they're wide enough for a chunky stock type horse with less padding.

Also paid between $550. - $700. including shipping to Canada, so much cheaper than the $1200. I forked out for mine that I bought new at a local tack store nine years ago.

I agree with TR about the Billy Cook saddles. They fit like a full QH bars. In my experience most Circle Ys fit closer to a semi-QH bar type. Most saddles sold online give a bar type description.

Be careful about the "cheapies". I've seen some of those saddles through people who couldn't resist the deal of a roping saddle (Brand New!) for $300.US.... cardboard stiff belly leather, poor stitching, etc...

Basically it's a 'buyer beware' situation, but if you're careful and avoid impulse buying you can get a decent new or used saddle for a reasonable price.

(Another place you might look that's not an auction.)
Here's a link to the Northernhorse.com tack for sale site:

http://www.northernhorse.com/classified ... t_Tack.asp

Take care and happy hunting.

TR, I'm sure not trying to start a war about saddle brands going - just trying to help based on my experience. I figure the more Mrs. Carlos knows the better decision she can make. You are absolutely right that fit is the most important thing. If the saddle doesn't fit properly, any number of problems can result ranging from saddle sores, to a sore backed horse, to bucking. I'm not sure what type of bars Dad's saddle has, but I do know it's been used on nothing but quarter horses and never had a problem with any of them. Just my thoughts.

Speaking of saddles. Anyone here remember Sears and Roebucks selling saddles? I owned two of the roping saddles from them. I still have one. Say what ya want but I have never seen a better saddle. Now I am not talking about the economy model they used to sell. They had some more expensive ones above the econo. I don't know who made them but I wish I could find another one like the one I have.

Roping saddle, full leather wrapped stirrups, custom tooling all over, padded seat. I think I paid like $275 for it many. many years ago. Anyone else know or have comments on these?

I like the Corriente saddles. They have ads in Western Horseman and some other horse magizines. I do not personally own one, but know many people that do. Thanks Kaneranch

flaboy+":1weaesfr said:
Speaking of saddles. Anyone here remember Sears and Roebucks selling saddles? I owned two of the roping saddles from them. I still have one. Say what ya want but I have never seen a better saddle. Now I am not talking about the economy model they used to sell. They had some more expensive ones above the econo. I don't know who made them but I wish I could find another one like the one I have.

Roping saddle, full leather wrapped stirrups, custom tooling all over, padded seat. I think I paid like $275 for it many. many years ago. Anyone else know or have comments on these?
don't know about there saddle's but i have a windmill that was sold by sears i think it was made by dempster back in the 20's i completely restored it i talked to sears archives about it you might can find out a lot of imformation about them through them..

ALACOWMAN":29ga5kdj said:
flaboy+":29ga5kdj said:

don't know about there saddle's but i have a windmill that was sold by sears i think it was made by dempster back in the 20's i completely restored it i talked to sears archives about it you might can find out a lot of imformation about them through them..

Hey Alacowman, how do I get in touch with Sears archives?

RebelCritter":1ibkjmjw said:

Thanks much. I will see what I can find. ;-)

I took a look. They have some history and a link to where I could buy old catalogs but it looks like most are $38 and up. I will see if I can find anything else out on the Sears saddle.

Hey flaboy, I know my parents used to have an old Sears & Roebuck catalog. I can't remember what the year was. I will see if she remembers seeing it when she unpacked from her move.

bootsie":2vfy7imo said:
Hey flaboy, I know my parents used to have an old Sears & Roebuck catalog. I can't remember what the year was. I will see if she remembers seeing it when she unpacked from her move.

I appreciate the offer. I would like to buy a new one like the one I have but they are not available any longer. :mad:

Oh, if memory serves me correctly, I think it was a Farm and Ranch catalog they used to have the saddles in. ;-)

Latest posts