Buy It?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby got a call tonight from a guy he knows.
He is giving him first crack at buying his 1957 Chevy 2-door. There is no motor or tranny in it, seats are gone, but we got extra seats.
He is asking $1000.00 for it.
The guy had started restoring it and I think he just got tired of it.

Should we buy it?

Personally NO , you are building a new home and need to save for that right now. Unless you found a suitcase full of money buried in the back 40. ;-)

It's a Chevy...so no.

Actually, I am going to go with HD on this one. You want a new house, that is priority. For 1000.00, the truck should be in 'restorable' shape. If there are major dings or rusted-out cab corners, you can go to a lot of work and expense to fix those.

I know a guy that is restoring a '56 2 door. Got it cheap originally (back 40 special), but even aftermarket replacement parts are not cheap. It is one reason he still lives in a trailer with his wife. :cowboy:

I luv herfrds":thn0m71j said:
Hubby got a call tonight from a guy he knows.
He is giving him first crack at buying his 1957 Chevy 2-door. There is no motor or tranny in it, seats are gone, but we got extra seats.
He is asking $1000.00 for it.
The guy had started restoring it and I think he just got tired of it.

Should we buy it?
Buy it? for what?
Put your money toward better than that.

Eyes on the prize Honey,eyes on the prize.. Lots of places for the time/money that car would take up..
That thousand $ could by lots of 2x4s.. Or hay..

I tink I'd pass on it at this time if I were you. Besides all the time and money you will need for the house building you will just plain be tired. BTDT. Just my opinion. Good Luck JLP

I guess I'm with the others, I'd let it go. It's too open ended as to what it will cost and when it will be finished. Like JLP, JMHO.

Larry

Ive restored a 56 2 dr and made money at it several years back. also a 40 ford and a 64 chevy. with todays market i wouldn't.

hillsdown":2x3uxki6 said:
Personally NO , you are building a new home and need to save for that right now. Unless you found a suitcase full of money buried in the back 40. ;-)
do you know how much a 2dr 57 chevy is worth???????? save money!! thats a sure investment if there ever was one.. i know guys that are giving $10.000 dollars for a good restorable body ""buy it"" if its good i can double or triple your money """FACT"" i wish i had that opportunity and i really cant spare it... but its like betting on that winning hoss with no money

peg4x4":iivncw60 said:
Eyes on the prize Honey,eyes on the prize.. Lots of places for the time/money that car would take up..

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Would y'all begin to restore it while you are building the house? If so, I sure wouldn't do it...enough time, stress and money goes into building a house, for sure. If hubby were to buy something for the car about the time you needed to pay for something to do with the house, the fur might start to fly. No sense in setting yourself up for problems like that.

Just my opinion, however... :)

Alice

you women stay out of this. :cowboy: .... buy the dam car put a cover over it, its like gold its value is sure to increase count on it,,,

Thanks guys we are going to pass on it.

Hubby has quite a collection of old cars. He lives by the rule if he can't get it for nothing he really doesn't want it, most of the time. We have paid for only 3 cars in his collection. It has been over growing several years.
He bought (4) '57 Chevy 4-door cars at an auction for $428.00; for all 4 cars. One has been restored. Bought a '50 Chevy car from a neighbor for $1000.00. Neighbor wanted him to restore it for him so he could sell it for a bunch of money.
Most exspensive one is my '65 Ford Mustang hatchback. Bought it for $2500.00, when unloading it from the trailer he ran the rear end of the car into the back end of our combine. :roll:

He has too many he needs to restore to get another one to work on.

I luv herfrds":3dam7g0k said:
Thanks guys we are going to pass on it.

Hubby has quite a collection of old cars. He lives by the rule if he can't get it for nothing he really doesn't want it, most of the time. We have paid for only 3 cars in his collection. It has been over growing several years.
He bought (4) '57 Chevy 4-door cars at an auction for $428.00; for all 4 cars. One has been restored. Bought a '50 Chevy car from a neighbor for $1000.00. Neighbor wanted him to restore it for him so he could sell it for a bunch of money.
Most exspensive one is my '65 Ford Mustang hatchback. Bought it for $2500.00, when unloading it from the trailer he ran the rear end of the car into the back end of our combine. :roll:

He has too many he needs to restore to get another one to work on.
is the offer only good to your husband?

alacattleman":3nv0zm3w said:
you women stay out of this. :cowboy: .... buy the dam car put a cover over it, its like gold its value is sure to increase count on it,,,

I agree....unless he plans to park it out there by the other 12-14 that he "plans" to restore. Hard to go wrong with a '57 Chevy. A thousand dollars is dirt cheap for a good investment. You'll waste more than that in the house just in "I changed my mind again honey".

TexasBred":36ojwqu2 said:
alacattleman":36ojwqu2 said:

I agree....unless he plans to park it out there by the other 12-14 that he "plans" to restore. Hard to go wrong with a '57 Chevy. A thousand dollars is dirt cheap for a good investment. You'll waste more than that in the house just in "I changed my mind again honey".
are roll it and have the money too waste it on, honey i changed my mind.. man this type opportunity only comes around once,, read this little story http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/10/ebay ... r-226-521/ :cry2:

TB what do you mean when "I" change my mind.
I'm NOT the one that passed up getting an old woody station wagon for $150.00 HE was. I could have just beat him.

house014.jpg

Here are 3 of his collection.
Starting on the left.
1924 Ford Roadster pickup. Salvaged from a few different dumps.
1929 Ford Model A pickup. Bought just the chaise, had everything else.
1934 Ford given to him by a neighbor.
They all run.

I luv herfrds":16y5133n said:
TB what do you mean when "I" change my mind.
I'm NOT the one that passed up getting an old woody station wagon for $150.00 HE was. I could have just beat him.

house014.jpg

Here are 3 of his collection.
Starting on the left.
1924 Ford Roadster pickup. Salvaged from a few different dumps.
1929 Ford Model A pickup. Bought just the chaise, had everything else.
1934 Ford given to him by a neighbor.
They all run.

The "I change my mind" had to do with building the house. I doubt there has ever been a house built that at some point in time one of the spouses decided to make changes to the original plan. And that runs the price up, so $1000 is chicken feed when you start building a house. I'd love to have one of those old "hoopies" just to tool around in and go to the domino hall or the ice house in. :cowboy:

If it's a local car and not terribly eat up with rust it's one of the best opportunities that will pass you by in your lifetime. All of the naysayers here obviously don't have a clue what '57s bring, specially if it's a bel air. Drop a grand on the car and put it on ebay, you'd have a lot more change in your pocket than that thousand to put towards your house or whatever. If it were a bit closer I'd be interested.

Latest posts