Butter?

Help Support CattleToday:

I could make it without butter, I think, if I could still have lard and other rendered fats. I make a big mess of the stuff every chance I get and it'll knock butter's socks off for most recipes.

After hand milking for years I got a Surge milking machine. Much better, faster, cleaner, no fighting with a calf that doesn't want to 'share', getting complete milkout and all the cream, and no arttritis of the finger joints. To wash this thing you just take it in the house.

I am one of the crazy ones that love milking time. I only milk one cow, so it's not a big deal. we have a belly surge milker, but honestly, unless I am pressed for time AND she is VERY full, I prefer to just hand milk.

she lost her calf this last freshening back in October so it's just been me milking and 3 bottle goats that I trained to suck off her. Family is wanting to go on a multiple overnight vacation with other weekend trips this summer, so I just got a bottle calf a few days ago. I am in the process of pairing them so I don't have to dry her up.

she is not tested for anything except occasionally mastitis if I get suspicious. she has been clear so far.

I make butter, yogurt, coffee creamer, sour cream, and some cheeses as well as we drink the milk. I am attempting to make eatable hard cheeses. so far most have turned out bitter. making hard cheeses is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Word of advice don't let the milk age for more than a few days (in the fridge of course) before you pull the cream to make butter. Raw cream can develop an off taste quite quickly and make the butter taste "strong". It also isn't flavorless like store butter. I have thought about pasteurizing my cream before making it into butter to see if it would be more "shelf stable". haven't tried it yet though.

Latest posts