Butchering a pregnant heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
My bull that I share with a friend comes back to my farm in late December. At that point, I have a heifer that will be 16 months old that will be in the same pen as the rest of the herd. I'm limited in acreage so all my cattle run together. This heifer is destined for the table. I'm curious how long I could hold onto her before she's butchered, assuming the bull breeds her upon his return in late December? Is there an ethical/humane time period I should consider? I could have her butchered then if necessary, but ideally would like to get as close to 20 months as possible.

Probly a touchy subject for some.
Personally, I wouldn't butcher anything that's bred.
I would try and find a way to keep the bull off her. Or her away from the bull. Just a personal opinion.

I have a neighbor who said his dad always had a bull in the lot that the feeding hfrs where in. Said they grew better pregnant. Kind of makes sense. In the days before implants, a bred hfr would be cranking more hormones and would grow better.

There are heavy breds killed every day. It's just part of the cattle business. I've talked to dairy guys that claim they get a premium for semi loads of heavy bred cull cows if they go direct to the plant.

Ultimately it's up to you and what you are comfortable with.
You could try feeding a heavy dose of MGA. Or double implant the heifer?
If she is going to be 16 mos when you co-mingle them, and you want to butcher her at 20mos, I guess I wouldn't worry to much. At most she would only be 3.5 - 4 mos bred.

I wouldn't worry about it. At four months the fetus hasn't developed consciousness. Even in heavy breds, the fetus remains unconscious until exposed to outside air, after which it will begin to struggle and attempt to breathe. When in doubt, leave the uterus closed until certain that the fetus is dead.

I worked in a slaughter house. It was not uncommon for a cow to come in with a calf inside.

Similar situation here - my anguscross heifers had their own ideas when I decided to remove them from the herd before putting the bulls in.

So the one I want to butcher is probably due in August, and I'm okay if we get her done before the end of June but between the lockdown and what is still in the freezer it's probably not going to happen... so by the time she's fed her calf 2 - 3 months and dried down/regained lost weight it'll be more like November/December.

But we do have a Jersey steer who will be a year old in August. And I'm kind of thinking if we need fresh meat before November we should harvest the steer.

A lot of people told me it is good to have them a few months bred to increase growth of the heifer. We did a 12 month old once i had no idea was in calf, she was about six months along. Didn't feel great but meat was good so i got over it.

And this right here is what gives farming a bad rep. I'd never do that. Period.

I have done it both intentionally and unintentionally. At 3 months the fetus is about the size of a rat. The one we are eating right now was about 5 or 6 months along when butcher. Neither the neighbor I bought her from or me had a clue she was bred. The meat is great.
For 4 years I bought 700 pound heifers to breed and sell as bred heifers. About 15% of them would turn up to be bred. Believe me when I say a lot of bred heifers show up at the feedlots. Some of those calf at the feedlot. Some abort. And you can bet that some are still carrying when they go to the plant.

So if u absolutely cant keep her from the bull, then maybe start her feed out a bit early, and really push her hard for butcher in December.
I dont suppose ur friend would let u keep her at his place without the bull eh? Too much work?

Just a couple things to ponder...

It's not the end of the world if she does get bred. Like I said, a touchy subject to some.

Can you get her spayed? I don't know, just a question for the board. I do know a large percentage of older cows sent to the cull pen are short bred. They got to be old cows by being fertile. If a old cow raises her final calf to 7 months or more, she most likely will be bred.

bird dog said:
Can you get her spayed? I don't know, just a question for the board. I do know a large percentage of older cows sent to the cull pen are short bred. They got to be old cows by being fertile. If a old cow raises her final calf to 7 months or more, she most likely will be bred.
Having just spayed a big bunch of heifers I can tell you it isn't easy to find a vet to do it. The vet we used came from about 80-90 miles away to do it. The local vets wanted nearly 4 times as much money per heifer and would have taken 3 times longer or more to do it.
Here most any cow of any age bred 4 months or less will go to kill.

Thanks everyone for the input. The bull will be at my place from December to July, and unfortunately I don't want to set up another pen just for her. She's already on feed so we'll see how she looks in December and make the call. I've told the workers (cows) only bull calves from now on, so hopefully they'll cooperate.

SBMF 2015 said:
I have a neighbor who said his dad always had a bull in the lot that the feeding hfrs where in. Said they grew better pregnant. Kind of makes sense. In the days before implants, a bred hfr would be cranking more hormones and would grow better.

There are heavy breds killed every day. It's just part of the cattle business. I've talked to dairy guys that claim they get a premium for semi loads of heavy bred cull cows if they go direct to the plant.

Ultimately it's up to you and what you are comfortable with.
You could try feeding a heavy dose of MGA. Or double implant the heifer?
If she is going to be 16 mos when you co-mingle them, and you want to butcher her at 20mos, I guess I wouldn't worry to much. At most she would only be 3.5 - 4 mos bred.

I've heard this for most of my life as well. I don't believe it's as common as it used to be with all the specialization these days but grandpa said it was very common years ago to run butcher heifers with the bull. He said it would help them catch up to steers if bred.

I have to comment on the old wife's tale of breeding your feedlot heifers so they grow good.
This is totally opposite of what I would think. Yes, they might weigh more because of the fetus and fluids - but, in all reality, the heifer will be putting her energy into the calf, not into making fat for finishing. Maybe not the 1st trimester, but after that. Just my two cents.
On a side note - everyone is panicking and sending cattle in to our butcher. We had an appointment to have a cull cow processed into hamburg. When we dropped her off, he said he had processed 8 cows that were pregnant. Everyone trying to put meat in their freezer. People need to relax.

If the heifer will be 16 months in late December when the bull gets there, why not let her get bred, sell as a fall calfer, and then butcher a steer that sounds like you may have on hand already? Sounds like that may keep everyone happy.

Latest posts