bursitis

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":6ms36llj said:
I got diagnosed with it yesterday in my elbow.

i know it hurts like the devil.

cortozone shot in the elbow will fix it right up

dun":ty5hw7qo said:
pdfangus":ty5hw7qo said:
I got diagnosed with it yesterday in my elbow.

i know it hurts like the devil.

cortozone shot in the elbow will fix it right up
-

dun, pdfangus and others--

cortisone shot in the elbow will "fix it right up" is a very cavalier and not consistently correct reply!

Bursitis , literally, is defined as "irritation of a Bursa." A Bursa is a sac or pouch located between bones, or anatomical structures, containing fluid for the purpose of reducing or eliminating friction - therefore treating the SYMPTOMS of irritation and/or pain." Cortisone shots may help to temporarilly alleviate or reduce the symptoms - but will NOT eliminate the CAUSE of the irritation in the first place!

A more desirable approach to the problem would be to determine the CAUSE (or etiology) of the pain, avoid the action which caused it, and then decide on a conservative method of treatment, part of which may, in fact, include a shot or two of cortisone, but no more than two before REALLY determining the actual cause and the extent of the condition.

I dealt with conditions such as this for 35 years in my practice. I suggest that you don't take it lightly!

DOC HARRIS

Selenium helps bursitis in people, would it help in cattle? I don't know but may be worth looking into, especially if you are in a known selenium deficient area? Just a thought, I've never dealt with it in cattle before.

DOC HARRIS":lt5wgnah said:
I dealt with conditions such as this for 35 years in my practice. I suggest that you don't take it lightly!

DOC HARRIS

I don;t take it lightly and have been dealing with it personally for 35 years. In my elbow I have to get a shot every few years when I overdo a couple of things. What it takes to overdo it varys according to what else I've been doing. Getting rid of the pain and inflamation, then attacking the cause is far superior to suffering for months while the doc tries to figure out the long term solution.

Latest posts