Bumping?

Help Support CattleToday:

coaklnic000

Reaction score
At what Month of a Jersey Heifers pregnancy is it ok to try bumping the Calve? She's 3 years old and is 6 months and 2 weeks in to her pregnancy. Thanks in advance

I believe the right hand side of the cow is your best bet if I remember correctly. Right in front of the rear leg.

When we were milking and using a bull, we would start bumping about 9 months post calving. If we could bump a calf, we would assume she was around 7 months pregnant. a lot has changed since then, but it you can bump a calf, she is pregnant. Bumping area is as ohiosteve has mentioned. not sure how close to rear leg he bumps but we always did the right side. I would call it more like the rear half of the stomach area about half way up.

About 2 months post calving you can bump a calf. Usually. Not always. I had one last year I couldn't bump until closer to calving.

I had to google "calf bumping" I've never heard such a thing. Why not just sleeve her? 7-9 months bred it is extremely easy to do.

Learning to preg has been the best thing I've ever done. I am very confident down to 1.5-2 months bred after doing around 250 head.

holm25 said:
About 2 months post calving you can bump a calf. Usually. Not always. I had one last year I couldn't bump until closer to calving.

:shock: :shock: You do realize a two month calf is about 2 inches long??

The term bumping is a little misleading, but I guess it's always been called that. You don't bump him, he bumps you. Also, by the time you can bump a calf, a newb should be able to visually tell if a cow is heavy bred.

TexasBred said:
holm25 said:

Most of my cows aren't even bred 2 months post calving.

TexasBred said:
holm25 said:

Haha worded that wrong. I meant two months before calving.

Latest posts