bummer....premie

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So we had some cows fighting yesterday. Now we have a premie. Teeth are starting to show, gums are white, one eye is clouded. Came out of the cow yellow. She did not even push.
My business head says do away with it. My heart says give it a chance.
I'm gonna give one bag of colostrum tonight to give it a chance, advice of the vet.
After that it's on it's own.
cow might have problems cleaning....Good Friday...what's up with that
Rr

Biggest problem that baby will have is lung development and maintaining body heat. Maybe a lamp would help it out. Gets dang cold out at night yet. Cold during the day here for that matter.
Good luck!

okay here is an update:

cow cleaned on her own, and i should mention that as soon as she calved this little one we checked for a twin...nothing.

the calf could not stay warm with the heat lamp so we brought him into the cabin we have in the calving area with a wood stove. We drenched the little vermin, and he is grunting like a pig.
We could not guarantee keeping the fire going so we brought him home. He just would not warm up. So in the tub he went. The warmest place in the house is the bathroom. With the furnace on it gets pretty warm so now he is clean, and hopefully will stay warm.
I gave him a shot of anafin, it's and anti inflamatory incase his grunting is pain.
I have done all i can.
he has until the morning to show some improvement....how calous is that?

premies are not always a lost cause. ive got good cows that were premies. a lot of times you walk out and a teeny calf is following around a great big momma calf just fine. of course i dont have the cold to deal with here. lack of hair, lack of lung development, those are the big problems with them.

Yellow is from release of meconium before birth - I suppose it could be an infection of another sort (vet test) but I have always seen it with the ones that pooped before they came out. Can cause pneumonia and infections if "inhaled" before birth, especially with a preemie one like this.

Latest posts