Bumble bees for sale

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
https://www.koppertus.com/natupol-excel-start-up/

I have not seen a bumble bee in a long time I guess they cannot survive on Coastal Bermuda and Bahia grass. I have plans to over seed 30 acres with Apache Clover. This is a arrow leaf clover developed at the Overton Experiment Station out side of Tyler Texas. Honey bees cannot reach the bottom of the flowers to pollinate the clover for re-seeding. I may inquire about these bumble bees in the spring.

hurleyjd said:
https://www.koppertus.com/natupol-excel-start-up/

I have not seen a bumble bee in a long time I guess they cannot survive on Coastal Bermuda and Bahia grass. I have plans to over seed 30 acres with Apache Clover. This is a arrow leaf clover developed at the Overton Experiment Station out side of Tyler Texas. Honey bees cannot reach the bottom of the flowers to pollinate the clover for re-seeding. I may inquire about these bumble bees in the spring.

Save your money....it doesn't need them.

Had a bout with bumble bees trying to take over the barn after the pastures were mowed this summer. No way I would ever want to buy any of the hateful things. I'll tolerate honeybees but that's my limit.

hurleyjd said:
Apache seed $120.50 for 50 lbs seeding rate 10 to 15 lbs per acre.
Nesikep said:
Unless you're growing the clover for seed, it's kinda useless to pollinate it

Never planted more than 5# an acre and did that once on patches I've planted. All you need is a little to catch hold. In a couple years it's everywhere. Maybe I'm more patient...or conservative. :D

Darn sure don't have enough bumblebees to pollinate enough seed to get a stand on Arrowleaf I've been getting. Down here, if it doesn't make seed you eventually won't have any. Summer kills it every year.

Ky hills said:
Had a bout with bumble bees trying to take over the barn after the pastures were mowed this summer. No way I would ever want to buy any of the hateful things. I'll tolerate honeybees but that's my limit.
What was attracting the bees to the barn.

hurleyjd said:
Ky hills said:

Don't really know, I figured that when the pasture was mowed there must have been a nest of them close by that got displaced and they were looking for a new place. Sometimes on warm days toward late part of winter I have seen honeybees come in the barn and fly around the gravity wagons with cattle feed in them, but these bumble bees weren't around those much. They mainly were around the concrete pad around our working chute.

I've had a big hive on my hill fir 6 years I know I never bothered then never tried to get the honey They never bothered me so I just left them be well I assume the queen either died or left during Laura because the hive was abandoned when I walked by it yesterday

Ky hills said:
hurleyjd said:
Ky hills said:

Don't really know, I figured that when the pasture was mowed there must have been a nest of them close by that got displaced and they were looking for a new place. Sometimes on warm days toward late part of winter I have seen honeybees come in the barn and fly around the gravity wagons with cattle feed in them, but these bumble bees weren't around those much. They mainly were around the concrete pad around our working chute.
Honey bees will gather around creep feeders for salt and something sweet that might be in the feed. I would look around the slab you may have a nest under the edge of the slab. Carpenter bees and bumble bees are hard to tell apart. That was the reason I asked about the barn. Thought the carpenter bees might be boring in the wood structure.

Had some volunteer hemp plants pop up this year - must have been a few female clones that 'hermed' last year, 'cause we did find a few seeds during processing this winter, but I KNOW I didn't see any plants in our fields. Anyway, some of the males made it to flowering before I got 'em rogued out, and they were all being worked heavily by bumblebees - the first I'd noticed on this place since I mowed over an underground hive of them back in 1995... but there were plenty of them on those male hemp plants!

hurleyjd said:
Ky hills said:
hurleyjd said:

Honey bees will gather around creep feeders for salt and something sweet that might be in the feed. I would look around the slab you may have a nest under the edge of the slab. Carpenter bees and bumble bees are hard to tell apart. That was the reason I asked about the barn. Thought the carpenter bees might be boring in the wood structure.

I think you are right they must have been trying to start a nest under slab. I hadn't seen many bumblebees for a while until this summer , but we have had plenty of carpenter bees around.

Latest posts