bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

bsr

Reaction score
WE are wanting to buy 12 registered angus bulls ranging from 4 months to a yearling.We have a pasture that is 150 acres it already has about the same age heifers on it.There is already 2 bulls about 1.5 year olds.Would it be okay to place these bulls out on the pasture.Will the bulls fight

I'd be less worried about the bulls fighting than the 4 month old heifers getting bred.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

14 bulls on 150 acres sounds like a lot more bulls then needed. If you need that many bulls to cover the cows you're probably pretty well overstocked. But I don;t know what the feed quality/quantity is on that 150 acres

bsr":lfrdx79y said:
WE are wanting to buy 12 registered angus bulls ranging from 4 months to a yearling.We have a pasture that is 150 acres it already has about the same age heifers on it.There is already 2 bulls about 1.5 year olds.Would it be okay to place these bulls out on the pasture.Will the bulls fight

This sounds like the train has jumped the tracks, I know I shouldn't ask but why or what is the thought process behind wanting 12 bulls.
Second question why do you not think the bulls won't breed the young heifers....
Bulls dig holes,beller,blow snot, fight and fornicate. With this many bulls you should sell tickets to the fights there will be plenty with this many bulls in one pasture with young girls.

bsr":rxs0gtg4 said:

Okay, I assume that you have joined this forum to learn about cattle. Welcome. There is enough information and advise on here to give you some good basic knowledge. There is a search feature that will pull up any subject that has been discussed, and cussed. Try it out by typing in bull pens and hit the search.
However, since you state you are new, you are going to need more than what an internet forum can give you. I don't know where you are from since you don't state your location, but you need to do some looking around to find cattlemen/women in your area. Find one that is willing to spend some time with you. Ask if you can watch them work their cattle. Call your county extension agent and ask questions about set ups, working facilities, bull pens, nutrition, etc. You state you are wanting Angus, find some Angus breeders in your area and talk to them, go see their operation. Stay away from sale barns until you gain some experience then still take someone with "savy" with you if that is still the route you want to go.
Folks on here are generally pretty friendly and tolerant, but are not afraid to call a spade a spade. If you ask a question be prepared to get an answer. Often a blunt one. Might not be the answer you are wanting but it is usually based on experience.
Oh, and yes bulls will fight.

edit: On the search tab if you type in what I suggested it will ignore the word bulls! Sorry, I guess there are just way too many posts with the word bulls in it to make that search useful. But if you go on the Tips and Tricks thread and look thru you will probably find some good suggestions on pen designs.

Caustic Burno":2e0036ua said:
Bulls dig holes,beller,blow snot, fight and fornicate. With this many bulls you should sell tickets to the fights there will be plenty with this many bulls in one pasture with young girls.

Heck, they don't even have to be in the same pasture to fight, if there is something in heat on the farm they will fight...

If you already have 2, 1.5 year old bulls in a pasture with those young heifers you are already on your way to a train wreck.

Since you don't say what you want all these bulls for it's hard to understand what you could possibly be thinking. Why not do what I said in your other post.

Find a mentor, ask for advice, TAKE IT!!!!

A bander or sharp pocket knife will solve the problem. If you meant steers in the first place I would advise you to choose your words a bit more carefully.
Don't let any of this criticism run you off. But if you stay you had better have some tough skin.

Caustic Burno":1hs3ic17 said:
novatech":1hs3ic17 said:
Maybe they are monogamous. :lol2:

Yikes that would make for one costly operation.

Don't laugh too hard. We had a new neighbor that bought seven angus cows and seven young bulls to go with them. Those bulls did a lot of "visiting" until that guy got straightened out. To his credit, he was a preacher and I'm sure he just meant to start off doing the right thing.

milesvb":3azalqpv said:
Caustic Burno":3azalqpv said:
novatech":3azalqpv said:
Maybe they are monogamous. :lol2:

Yikes that would make for one costly operation.

Don't laugh too hard. We had a new neighbor that bought seven angus cows and seven young bulls to go with them. Those bulls did a lot of "visiting" until that guy got straightened out. To his credit, he was a preacher and I'm sure he just meant to start off doing the right thing.
im sure the breeder was glad for the sale. but looks like he would have set him strait with 13 cows and a bull.

Latest posts