Bullets

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
Does anyone still make a solid .44 cal. bullet that weighs 260-280 grains? I used to use the Barnes "Originals" 275 gr. and they were real hog thumpers before they discontinued them. Then they discontinued their solids also. I'm currently using 280 gr. cast bullets from Beartooth but accuracy is nothing to get excited about. Speer 270 gr. soft points shoot better but won't penetrate like I think they should. Any suggestions?

MikeC":3arayqj8 said:
I've never used them but a friend of mine does:

http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/16-0.php

Thanks Mike.

Their website states, "Plated Bullets: Not as expensive as Jacketed and cleaner than lead but you'll want to stay away from magnum velocities when loading plated bullets."

If I can drive a hard cast bullet to 1750-1800 fps without undue leading I wonder why a plated bullet wouldn't be better yet :?:

milesvb":1wgz0nlh said:
MikeC":1wgz0nlh said:
I've never used them but a friend of mine does:

http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/16-0.php

Thanks Mike.

Their website states, "Plated Bullets: Not as expensive as Jacketed and cleaner than lead but you'll want to stay away from magnum velocities when loading plated bullets."

If I can drive a hard cast bullet to 1750-1800 fps without undue leading I wonder why a plated bullet wouldn't be better yet :?:

I would think it would be better. Give 'em a try and see.

That warning can't be because of any danger? Can't figure why they would say that.........

Typically the plated bullets are made of softer lead (less antimony) and the jacket is pretty thin and will tear under high velocity and accuracy sucks.

MikeC":10s0218f said:

We didn;t heat treat ours just cast them hard (out of the molds at 21) and let them age for at least 2 weeks beofre we sold them. From a 44 mag revolver at 50 yards our 240 ketih style SWC would shoot lengthwise through a hog. I don;t recall the load anymore but there wasn;t a leading problem and they were accurate. But our 215 gr 41 mag bullets did the samething

Berry Bullets response to my inquiry is as follows,

"Our copper plated bullets are designed for medium-moderate pressures and velocities - and in standard pistol calibers have an upper velocity limit of 1200 FPS.

Higher velocities and/or a heavy roll crimp will destroy the integrity of the bullet.

Our bullets have NO LEADING at reasonable velocities they were designed for."

MikeC":2la1y430 said:

I used to use those in my Super Redhawk. They are excellent bullets and the hardest cast bullets I have EVER seen. They'll crack or break before they will mushroom or shed alloy. The only problem is that the o.a.l is too great for the Ruger rifle. They jam against the rifling and won't feed from the magazine.