Bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
This is my first year trying to get my small herd bred. A good friend of mine let me borrow is angus bull. Anyway he's been at my place for 45 days. From talking to different people I think this should have been long enough and this will keep my calving window smaller. Thats why I was shooting for 45 days. My question is: I haven't seen the old boy doing a whole lot with the ladies. My buddy assures me he never misses, so whats the deal? Is he doing his best work at night or what? Other than kinda dancing around with one cow I haven't seen him do anything. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't let them get too far out of sight but I'm wondering if he's got the job done. What do ya' think??

I'm wondering if he's got the job done
I think your bull is wondering "Hmmm, whats up with the perv lurking behind trees trying to catch me at work......" :lol2: :clap:

Nah, just kidding. That questions has been asked by plenty on here, and always they are told he is working the night shift. Also, there are markers you can put on your cows to know if they have been bred, but I am guessing after 45 days they should be taken care of, thats at least 2 heats.

I usually put a patch on the females and monitor it when the bull is put in. Its a good indication that he has bred them. Not 100% always but a good indicator. On the other hand just because you dont see him breed them does not mean he hasnt done his job.

Circle H Ranch

You need to run them through the chute and preg check them around here 30 days is enough for the arm and I believe 14 for ultrasound .A lazy bull can cost you dearly

My parents managed a Charolais farm when I was little. They had around 25 heifers in a group running with a bull. They never saw him breed one in a 45 day window. 9 months later, they had 25 calves. They were there constantly during the day, but he did all his work at night, and they never saw him breed one.

Over the last two breeding seasons that I have used my current bull I have seen him breeding a cow just once. So far he has had a 100% success rate getting them pregnant so I figure he likes those cooler nights for working.

Kathy told me that my bull was a dud. Never saw him breed a cow. We now have three healthy calves on the ground and four cows ready to pop. I guess there are more than one bull working the night shift.
Tom.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like with a little luck I'll have some calves on the ground in a while! Thanks for the quick answers.

i have had a couple of bulls that did their work at night or when i wasn't looking. most eared bulls are shy but angus bulls they are aggressive breeders. i had a braford bull that i only seen mount a cow twice in 5 years. but we always had calves, he would herd them away when they were in heat or get between me and the cows and paw the ground and rumble.