Bull video

Help Support CattleToday:

I liked #1
#2 Looks like he could use a bit more muscle on the rear.
#3 He's not too bad looking, but I just didn't like the way his rear legs moved.
#4 Good looking bull, but I wonder about his front end being too heavy
#5 looked good too, but the rear legs maked me look again.

Cris I think you're pretty much spot on with your assesment

I luv herfrds":2wjun7o6 said:
I liked #1 He's a bit more of a sausage than I thought, but still a very good phenotype

#2 Looks like he could use a bit more muscle on the rear. Very light muscled and light boned

#3 He's not too bad looking, but I just didn't like the way his rear legs moved.
Very typical of bulls that was stall fed, or that just came out of a growth test where they got too little execise. I've found that the perfectly sound bulls come out OK, but even the slightest fault get exagerated by being sent to test.

#4 Good looking bull, but I wonder about his front end being too heavy
That doesn't bother me, his high BW does, I am surprised that they allowed him to get this fat, as it usually affects the freezability of his semen.

#5 looked good too, but the rear legs maked me look again.
A bit soft in the pasterns and he walks with his legs to far under him, he's probably a touch sickle hocked.

I have been watching that Global bull for awhile now. I have decided to use him in a flush this summer, so i will see in a couple years what they cattle come out like. I have always like his phenotype and am excited to see what I get.

they knew what they were doing not showing video of the younger bull unhaltered not stop and set up. you get a couple glimpses of it tho.... poor hind leg sets imo.

to me those videos should prove a point to those always asking about AI bulls. you can avoid costly mistakes by just taking the time to look and not going solely by what the owner says.

WichitaLineMan":c7zxhgaf said:
I liked #1 better before I saw the video.

I agree! :nod: :nod: I'd always been impressed with his photos, but his video was unimpressive.

Same thing with most of the rest!

I really like the Powerhouse bull (#4), but his BW (+8.2) probably limits his usefulness in most programs. The accuracy of the BW EPD is still not high enough to trust it - but it's likely not going to vary that far from the present level.

He certainly had an outstanding calf posted here at CT earlier in this thread, but the calf was awfully big at birth:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64848&p=758139&hilit=powerhouse#p758139

DSC02781.jpg

Apparently Powerhouse is not cleared by the AHA to register AI calves from him, so his use in the US is will be limited.

George

For a year now, i've been wondering if to use this Circle-d speed -bull. There is very limited selection of EU qualified bulls on the market and Speed is one of them. Maybe next year i buy some straws for heifers.

I think that Global is the best in this group.

KNERSIE":28piqpbi said:
Apparently Powerhouse is not cleared by the AHA to register AI calves from him, so his use in the US is will be limited.

Why would that be, George?

I'm going by WisRose's post in her thread:

WisRose":28piqpbi said:
Chuckie can't be registered as the AHA won't give Powerhouse the OK for AI certs.

My guess is that they didn't ever get a DNA profile on his dam and she's no longer around to get one now.

George

Herefords.US":g83b5pah said:
KNERSIE":g83b5pah said:

Why would that be, George?

My guess is that they didn't ever get a DNA profile on his dam and she's no longer around to get one now.

George

Yet he's approved for use in Canada, with no dna profile on the dam. :roll:

P.A.L":1sg86lrq said:
For a year now, i've been wondering if to use this Circle-d speed -bull. There is very limited selection of EU qualified bulls on the market and Speed is one of them. Maybe next year i buy some straws for heifers.

I had an someone ask from Australia about semen on the bull I have now. I thought it would be "neat" to sell some foreign semen on him. After checking out the cost of getting him collected for export semen sales for Australia, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I would have had to sell about 500 straws to make it worth while doing cost wise, so I'm not surprised you don't have a lot of US bulls qualified for Europe to choose from, with, no doubt even higher cost for the semen to qualify for export there.

rocket2222":1ka2noat said:
P.A.L":1ka2noat said:

I had an someone ask from Australia about semen on the bull I have now. I thought it would be "neat" to sell some foreign semen on him. After checking out the cost of getting him collected for export semen sales for Australia, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I would have had to sell about 500 straws to make it worth while doing cost wise, so I'm not surprised you don't have a lot of US bulls qualified for Europe to choose from, with, no doubt even higher cost for the semen to qualify for export there.

Yep, Problem is mostly IBR. If the bull is vaccinated against IBR you can't export it to Europe. Some bulls are available, but they are poor quality or expensive. But we have used to expensive :lol: everything costs too much in Europe. Expecially here in scandinavia. Everything is banned or need a lot of paperwork. Sick and tired of that. For example if you kill a cow and feed it to your dog. Officials found out you did that, you end up in jail or lose business. I Hate those bureaucrats of European Union :mad: ...

I know this is political and not the place, but the USA is rapidly following that path.

I believe there are good smart people the world over and if we are allowed the necessary liberty to make decisions that the world will be a better place in the future. What we do not need is more government nannies looking over our shoulders on every minuscule decision.

Good luck to you! And us all!!

Here is a clip of an e-mail I got from the AHA .
" On the Powerhouse bull, he was purchased or leased by an AI company out of Canada and the Canadian Hereford Association relaxed there rules in order to get the bull permitted. In the meantime, the stud had sold semen in the US without getting the bull properly permitted in the states. We did not know this and neither did US buyers of semen. We have done some shuffling with ownership on the bull in order for folks in the US to get calves registered that were born in 2009, because neither they nor us new this was happening. The bull is not AI permitted in the US and we will not accept AI sired calves for registration. However, if your friend has one born and needs to get it registered, then have them call me. I have been trying to help our breeders get through this since Semex sold semen to US customers without the proper paperwork. I have written them a letter to get this taken care of and the Canadian Hereford Association is also aware of the situation."
I did get a heifer last year out of him that was 85# at birth. The bull calf this year was out of a BIG cow who throws bigger calves. Anyway, I used up the two straws I had purchased and won't use him again. This is a pic of the heifer last fall.
DSC01829.jpg

Latest posts