bull to cow ratio/ % calved

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
What do you think is a good bull to cow ratio?

What percent of your herd should be calved 30 days out, 60 days, 90 days??

It depends on the bull. Historically, we have had a 1:25 ratio, but some bulls can handle quite a bit more. Our 5 year old herd bull bred 15 of our cows in a time frame of 35 days. All but 3 cows that he bred calved in the first 21 days.

Depends on the age of the bull. Yearlings we run with about 20 head. Anything older gets 25-40 head depending on the pasture size. Bulls are out with the cows for about 45-50 days. And we usually have 75-80% in the first 21 days.

I agree with the others. It depends on age and the bull himself. I had a 6 year old bull on 40 cows last year and 30 calved in 28 days. All 40 in 45 days.
Two years ago I turned a 13 month old Angus bull out on 30cows a month before the Mature Char bulls were to be turned out. The 13 month old sired 26 calves on that group in 30 days.
The reason I turned him out early was to gain experience because I usually experience the opposite where when they are young virgins it takes them 2-3 weeks to figure out what they are doing.

This year I actually had 95% in 60 days and we wound up with 100% in 90 days on a 1-30 ratio with bulls being 6yo, 2.5yo, 18months, and 16months. But the 6yo bull is with out a doubt the most prolific breeder I have ever seen. I would have no problem turning him out on 75 head and expecting them to be bred in 90days. Unfortunately he is not mine.

I ran 1/25 to 1/30 or actually 2/50-60 and ran them for 60 day ran a 98% breeding and usually calve about 90%+ of those in the first 40 days
was looking at some old calving books a few days ago
first calf born August 13th last calf born Oct 7th out of 154 calves all but 7 were born between Aug 13 and Sept 24th
3 were born on Oct.1st 1 on the 3rd 2 on the 5th and the last one on the 7th

these were 3 to 7 yr old cows

While age is important, I feel the type of country you're running in is another huge factor.

Latest posts