BULL TEST

Help Support CattleToday:

These 'Eating Contests' that don't measure feed efficiency are only a marketing scheme to me. Some are suspect then.

Bull Tests were initially designed to help the producer choose the best genetics from his calf crop for his own use before AI was widely used.

Producers might take a entire contemporary group (except obvious culls) to the test, keep the best one or two, sell the rest to others and packers.

It evolved into a "Bull Test Sale".

The absolute best way to find the merit of a bull is to feed his progeny.

MikeC":14l5pzvt said:
These 'Eating Contests' that don't measure feed efficiency are only a marketing scheme to me. Some are suspect then.

Bull Tests were initially designed to help the producer choose the best genetics from his calf crop for his own use before AI was widely used.

Producers might take a entire contemporary group (except obvious culls) to the test, keep the best one or two, sell the rest to others and packers.

Ditto

But that brings up another Question. When reading EPD's is YW any different?

novatech":3acn025d said:
MikeC":3acn025d said:

Ditto

I don't understand the question? Different than what? I'm lost.

Dont know about ypu fellas, but if a seedstock producer wants to sell me a bull, thats on test or has come of test. I run like the wind in the other direction. Those critters are just train wrecks waiting to happen

MikeC":1a7v405w said:
novatech":1a7v405w said:
MikeC":1a7v405w said:

Ditto

May be it was the" 'Eating Contests' that don't measure feed efficiency" that I was relateing to. Producers feed out a bulls progeny to get high epds, yw but do not measure efficiency.

Why Are They Train Recks Waiting To Happend?
To Me The Bull Test Shows Me What The Bulls Genetic Potencilal Is And Is Another Tool That Helps Me Choose A Bull
I Also Think As Well As Others It A Marketing Tool When Selling Bulls So To Me It A Good Overall Tool For Both Buyers And Sellers

novatech":fec0umbm said:
MikeC":fec0umbm said:
novatech":fec0umbm said:
MikeC":fec0umbm said:

Ditto

May be it was the" 'Eating Contests' that don't measure feed efficiency" that I was relateing to. Producers feed out a bulls progeny to get high epds, yw but do not measure efficiency.
Feeding bulls does not give them high EPDs, unless you feed some but not all and contemporary group them together.

vs_cattle":3i9j5012 said:
To Me The Bull Test Shows Me What The Bulls Genetic Potencilal Is And Is Another Tool That Helps Me Choose A Bull
I Also Think As Well As Others It A Marketing Tool When Selling Bulls So To Me It A Good Overall Tool For Both Buyers And Sellers
Unless these bulls are gradually "let down" to become accustomed to living in the real world and living off grass, they can lose condition and fertlity. Also, if there is a sudden change in diet they can get ill or even die. The top selling bull at the Auburn Test died shortly after he was sold due to a sudden change in his feed.

J. T.":1hu4g6q4 said:
vs_cattle":1hu4g6q4 said:
Unless these bulls are gradually "let down" to become accustomed to living in the real world and living off grass, they can lose condition and fertlity. Also, if there is a sudden change in diet they can get ill or even die. The top selling bull at the Auburn Test died shortly after he was sold due to a sudden change in his feed.

This years test bull?

Latest posts