Bull Test Stations

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with any of the the Bull Test Stations in Texas? I'm thinking this may be a good place to market some of my bulls that have potential.

Any thoughts on using bull test stations in general - pro's and con's?

Thanks!

It can be expensive to put a bull through a test station. Like in the $1000 a head range after he is sold. It takes a good price to get that back. Unless you can test in the top and sell very well you may be better to just sell them at weaning.

I've been on the NY bull test commitee for about 25 years. We calculated average cost - value of calf as feeder, vet fees, trucking, test fees, etc. We figured you need about $1200 to break even on an average year. We have had bulls on test most of the 25 years. You have to also consider the advertising you get for your farm - that is if your bull is decent. If he is mediocre - and your just looking for a place to market bulls, might think twice. Most tests, you have to PASS certain certifications - not all of them go into the sale.

Jeanne:

i assume that $1200 is what you need to sell the bull for to cover what you would have made when selling at weaning and the test costs?

or... you dont mean that is how much more the bull has to bring.

Conagher":20p83d3i said:
Does anyone have any experience with any of the the Bull Test Stations in Texas? I'm thinking this may be a good place to market some of my bulls that have potential.

Any thoughts on using bull test stations in general - pro's and con's?

Thanks!

We've been testing and selling bulls at a test station for several years now. I think it's a good way to evaluate your breeding program alongside other breeders. More people come to the twice-a-year sales at the station than will ever come to our place to look at bulls. It's not cheap and not all test stations have a sale. Sometimes bulls get sick, sometimes they die. But they do that at home, too. Overall, I think it's a good tool for a smaller, new breeder to use to establish his program.

Aero":25o92rmd said:
Jeanne:

i assume that $1200 is what you need to sell the bull for to cover what you would have made when selling at weaning and the test costs?

Yes, I mean you have to sell him for $1200 to "break even".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1qsg9kt7 said:
Aero":1qsg9kt7 said:
Jeanne:

Yes, I mean you have to sell him for $1200 to "break even".

what does it cost you to test a bull and have him sold?

conagher, you might want to contact these folks about the specifics of costs, ages, etc. A new test group starts in the next couple of weeks. I've been to quite a few of the bull sales for that test station and they do get a good amount of traffic. Based on my observations, if bulls make the cut to get into the sale they'll easily beat that $1,200 figure, I believe. Sales for the Navasota test station bulls are held in Industry, Tx. twice a year. They also have a heifer development program.

http://www.texasbulltest.com/

JSV: Do you test at this texas station. They have a test that fits my calving. I have tried to call them but can't get through. If things sound allright I may PM you for your input.

Had a discussion with Robert Williams Phd. at the AICA about the waning participation in bull tests.

His take was....... that if your bulls aren't RANDOMLY chosen for the test, or if you don't take every one of your bulls, it is not a true representation of breeding in your herd and is only a marketing tool.

I remember back when the bull tests started (back in the 50's) they were/are designed for the purebred breeder to take some of his better calves and use the data to select his new herdsire from.
Back before AI became popular.

I have not been able to get in touch with this station in Texas to check things out but if they can test for $650 why can't we?
When I get a good price from texas I will let you know.

Main thing to keep in mind about bull tests are that they are a major marketing tool for the consigner. so keep that in mind before you put bulls in them if you consign junk then that is the impression people will have of your operation. Also you may not want to consign your very best bull as you won't be able to make as much a profit on him as you would selling private treaty or through a breed sale. Remember in bull test you have to pay for the service provided, which includes feeding these bulls for 180+ days in some cases, vet bills, advertising, etc...
Just look at it as investing in a marketing program which all purebred producers need.

Diehard40":3s9gwnjb said:
Also you may not want to consign your very best bull as you won't be able to make as much a profit on him as you would selling private treaty or through a breed sale.

Just becuause you put a bull on test doesn't mean you HAVE to sell him, does it?

El_Putzo":27ollus6 said:
Diehard40":27ollus6 said:
Also you may not want to consign your very best bull as you won't be able to make as much a profit on him as you would selling private treaty or through a breed sale.

Just becuause you put a bull on test doesn't mean you HAVE to sell him, does it?

Different tests have different rules. Not all test stations even have a sale. The one at Gainesville, TX doesn't. You need to check the rules out before you test. Some people do use bull tests to identify their own best bulls to use on their own herds. But for a lot of small breeders, bull test station sales are the place to get the most dollars for our bulls.

El_Putzo":11wettot said:

no, but you still have to pay the feed and processing bills.

I have only participated in the NY test station. Anyone can consign their bull, and bring him home.
If the bull fails our requirements, we strongly advise the consignor to send the bull to slaughter, but they may decide to take him home & sell him off the farm or use him - should depend on WHY he flunked.

Latest posts