Bull problems

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
I have an older Angus bull that stays alone all the time. Is it time to sell, when they do this? Years ago had one that took up with the horses and would not stay with the cattle. Sold him right away.
Also have a younger bull that go sick last year he is not doing very well will sell him this week. I think I change bulls more than tires on my truck.

Was this older bull with another bull close in size. I ask this cause when one gets knocked down in the pecking order they, especially the angus, tend to go off and sulk cause they got their feeling hurt (LOL). We have had this happen a few times.
Last year and the year before we felt the same way about our bulls. We ended up buying bull insurance for the first time last year and it helped alot.

RR

Our bulls SOMETIMES go off by themselves but I think they are looking for more cows....they always rejoin the herd in a day or so...

hillrancher":32z28fjf said:
I have an older Angus bull that stays alone all the time. Is it time to sell, when they do this? Years ago had one that took up with the horses and would not stay with the cattle. Sold him right away.
Also have a younger bull that go sick last year he is not doing very well will sell him this week. I think I change bulls more than tires on my truck.

A loner is a label for a bull who avoids, or is self isolated from cattle interaction. There are many reasons for solitude, intentional or otherwise. Various mental illnesses and social difficulties can be linked to reclusiveness; however no specific cause is implied by the term loner, and many friendly, outgoing bulls also suffer from mental and social problems. The term loner is usually used with a negative connotation in the belief that cattle are social creatures and those that do not participate are different. The label has often been applied pejoratively by the media to individuals deemed strange or pathetic. The loner bull may be ashamed of his behavior.

Cure: Lock him in a pen alone and invite several people over each day to walk the pen, point at the bull and loudly proclaim how masculine, and structurally correct he is. As soon as his ego is to the point that he attempts to fight or take a run at these ego-boosting intruders into his space........sell him.
Dr. Mike

id sell the loner bull.an the bull that got sick.but if you want calves.you need bulls that can breed cows.

MikeC":2vv97wx9 said:
hillrancher":2vv97wx9 said:

A loner is a label for a bull who avoids, or is self isolated from cattle interaction. There are many reasons for solitude, intentional or otherwise. Various mental illnesses and social difficulties can be linked to reclusiveness; however no specific cause is implied by the term loner, and many friendly, outgoing bulls also suffer from mental and social problems. The term loner is usually used with a negative connotation in the belief that cattle are social creatures and those that do not participate are different. The label has often been applied pejoratively by the media to individuals deemed strange or pathetic. The loner bull may be ashamed of his behavior.

Cure: Lock him in a pen alone and invite several people over each day to walk the pen, point at the bull and loudly proclaim how masculine, and structurally correct he is. As soon as his ego is to the point that he attempts to fight or take a run at these ego-boosting intruders into his space........sell him.
Dr. Mike

Dr Mike, you should have saved this one for "open mike" night down at the CT Comedy club.
I'm laughing my butt off.

The bull is there to service the cows. If there is no cow in season then I could car less if he stands on a flag pole. His job is to service the cows not be a social hit amongst his piers. If he is doing what he is paid to do then what he does on his free time is up to him. I have seen more like him than not.

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike ; A small stream runs through the pasture this bull is in and up stream there is a couple that live the alternative life style. The reason to posted this I was wondering if this illness could be passed on to animals. You have diagnosed as not which I am very relieved that this disease is most likely not the problem.
I will lock him in the pen water and feed him until first sale day after the holiday. Then I will take the dog and point to him let the dog run him down the runway while I close the trailer gate behind him.
Thanks DC

I agree with novatech about this. As long as he gets his work done, he can do whatever he wants in his free time. Maybe he's in one of those self-improvement classes and is simply meditating.

I do draw the line at fence-crawling, though. That's a no-no no matter what he may be or not be.

novatech":3urrr1a6 said:
The bull is there to service the cows. If there is no cow in season then I could car less if he stands on a flag pole. His job is to service the cows not be a social hit amongst his piers. If he is doing what he is paid to do then what he does on his free time is up to him. I have seen more like him than not.

Nova..roflmao....they guy could at least flirt a little bit and hustle the ladies. Heck they might even cycle a bit sooner. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":3eakr1vd said:
novatech":3eakr1vd said:

Nova..roflmao....they guy could at least flirt a little bit and hustle the ladies. Heck they might even cycle a bit sooner. :lol: :lol:
I've tried it. Only reaction I get is :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

novatech":k2gzh2re said:
TexasBred":k2gzh2re said:
novatech":k2gzh2re said:

I've tried it. Only reaction I get is :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ohhh...you too huh?? :cry2: :cry2:

novatech":2rktiimz said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

One of my neighbors told me about a young bull that he once owned. This was a young virgin bull that was breeding his first cow. In the act of mating, the "couple" backed up into an electric fence. The man said the bull never touched another cow after that. Sounds kinda like a turn on to me! 8)

maybe that bull thought it was that letric probe they stick up their rump so they came fert check emm.