bull ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like the Dateline bull will work on a heifler, and give you a good steer to sell or a heifer to keep.
The first bull if you are selling the calf no matter what.

Do not use a Dateline Bull on heifers... unless you like to pull calves. We have used Quantum almost exclusively for AI this eyar, and we are overwhelmed with the results... calves hit the ground small, and grow like weeds.

Wouldn't be no doubt for me-- I would use the Emblazon bull-- light enough birthweight and BW EPD and Emblazon and Ohlde bloodlines are known for throwing muscle and still keeping a moderate frame...Appears this one is good for ribeye and marbling,too ---I have one double bred 6807 (Emblazons sire) bull that I'm really happy with the calves and calving ease (use on heifers) ....

I definitely wouldn't be looking at the Dateline bull with a 5.5 BW EPD for heifers......

And personally for me the Quantam bull is too big framed (6.6)...

alright i will try and get a picture of her yeah i was leaning towards emblazon or the dateline and they only cost me 20 bucks canadian a straw :D

6I6 is a good bull for heifers and he is sired by 6807 too. the females from him are keepers.

Don't use SAF Directive. Listed for heifers, not a heifer bull, calves are big, tall and gangly and have funny looking non Angus heads.

The 3rd one on your list, and the 4th one-Quantum, are way too pencil-gutted for my liking. I'd stick to the Emblazon bull for sure. Moderate frame, powerful thickness and volume. That's what builds great females and pushes the scale down.

I have a question about emblazon's epds. Does the YH give any accurate estimation of frame score. In other words can you use YH to try to select more moderate framed bulls. I would have thought a frame score of 5.8 would be about average or slightly above average but his YH epd is significantly below average. I think I'm just confused (and probably confusing everyone else). Does YH epd have a correlation with frame score and can it be used to select smaller framed sires?

gberry":38zx2wtx said:
I have a question about emblazon's epds. Does the YH give any accurate estimation of frame score. In other words can you use YH to try to select more moderate framed bulls. I would have thought a frame score of 5.8 would be about average or slightly above average but his YH epd is significantly below average. I think I'm just confused (and probably confusing everyone else). Does YH epd have a correlation with frame score and can it be used to select smaller framed sires?

The accuracy on the YH EPD is low- .05%, but the -.3 on height is consistent with the Emblazon history-- he has been known as a good bull for holding or moderating frame size- as have many of the other Ohlde cattle...Which personally I like to see coming back in trend with some angus cattle after several years of everyone trying to breed saddle horse high cattle :roll: Those 1500-1700 lb cows eat too much hay in a long cold winter ;-) ....

Thanks OT. I'm just trying to figure if YH is an adequate substitute for an actual frame score as I agree those heavy cows eat too much. Also for our herd we would like to have a bull with high WW epd as we sell most of our calves at weaning time, but we don't want to use a FS 8 bull to get them as we try to keep a few replacements every year. All things being equal I would prefer a FS 5 bull with +50WW epd to a FS8 bull with +50WW. Shouldn't this produce a shorter stouter calf or is my reasoning way off?

gberry- check out this website- and some of these folks ideas on raising cows:

http://diamonddangus.com/

These are some folks that have a very good herd of moderate framed angus cattle.. They push for cows that wean calves weighing 50+% of the cow weight... I have and am using some of their bloodlines and am very happy with them

This is long time ranch that didn't jump on the big frame bandwagon- stayed the course, with emphasis on good moderate sized cows...And its payed off for them, as they have just in the last few years been discovered by those outside Montana for their good cattle-- as has shown up with their sale prices really jumping......

Get A Long states that the Dateline son calves easy. I would probably leave him alone and just use the Quantum or Emblazon bulls. Seen excellent calves out of them. Unfortunately the pic of the Quantum isn't as good as it could be. The bull certainly has adequate depth and leaves a rippin set of good females. His dam produced another excellent son again this spring.

gberry I would also keep in mind that smaller cows wean 50% of their body weight alot more consistently than larger framed cows. 1000-1300lb cows will always wean a 500-650lb calf more years than a 1600-1800lb cow will wean 800-900lbs. Of course, before anyone jumps on me, this is assuming that all cows involved are on an even playing/grazing field.

That's true PC, remember Glover lives in Ontario and cattle often will become larger due to the environment allowing them to be that way. With that being said, a 1500lb cow becomes 1900lbs.

I believe we went through this but how can we be worried about what they way when they get treated no different and yet become heavy cows. A cow that is moderate in frame but weighs
1450lbs is different then the cows of the late 80's and early 90's that stood eleventeen feet tall and were as wide as a barbwire fence.

I live within 15 miles of Tim Ohlde and used his bulls long before the majoirty of the commercial breeders.. Yes, emblazon is a good bull, moderates frame, adds reasonable amount of muscle. 6807 is the key to that blood line. Problem is... over the last 5 years that i used the 845 (Emblazon) blood line the performance went down almost 10% .. Throw another bull in your search. Bando 328, a local breeder has him, goes back to New Trend and Ext on the dams side and has 5175 on the top side. This year my calves weighed almost #110 lbs heavier at weaning then the best year of 845 cattle. Pulled no calves on over 200 head of heifers and the daughters are outstanding. Average frame is 6 to 6.5, but I don't have a cow that weights over 1350 lbs and milking is extradonary !!

Oldtimer":cqwglxms said:
Wouldn't be no doubt for me-- I would use the Emblazon bull-- light enough birthweight and BW EPD and Emblazon and Ohlde bloodlines are known for throwing muscle and still keeping a moderate frame...Appears this one is good for ribeye and marbling,too ---I have one double bred 6807 (Emblazons sire) bull that I'm really happy with the calves and calving ease (use on heifers) ....

I definitely wouldn't be looking at the Dateline bull with a 5.5 BW EPD for heifers......

And personally for me the Quantam bull is too big framed (6.6)...

Latest posts