Bull fee?

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking my cow to the neighbor's bull to get bred in a couple of weeks. She didn't take with the CIDr/Ai , so I'm hoping the bull can get the job done. O/w she'll have to go or I'll have to get the Vet out to see what the problem is.
We haven't talked money, but I would like to give them some . She'll be staying a couple of weeks or so, I'll provide the hay and feed her.What seems a fair amount?
If it makes any difference, he's 1/2 Charolais the rest is red angus and Brahman. He is a tan color, like a Limousin tan. Any ideas what color the calf will be? Oh my cow is a HolsteinX Hereford, big 8yr old cow.

Thanks!
Susie

Susie,

You stand a chance of a real big calf with that bulls make-up combined with your cow. If she is a large frame cow with 6 calves under her she should give you no problems though. I think the calf will definately have white in it's mix, with maybe a light tan to light red. If you are providing the feed I would think the guy would do it free unless he is feeding extra, or doing the pick up and delivery. Leave her there for at least one cycle (min 23 days), but to make sure she breeds I would leave her 45 days. Maybe he would do it for $25 for 1 cycle and $50 for two?

Susie....sounds like a dollar a day for feed and whatever you work out with your neighbor...I would get $50.00 for our bull.
To bad you are on the other side of the hill, we have a nice young Red Angus that covered our cows this spring. I would leave 45 days to insure that she settled.
Susie Mc

Hi Susie,

Before I got a bull of my own a friend would let me take my
cows to his farm. He charged me $50 a head with feed included
for a two month stay. The last time I used his service he even
wormed them with the rest of his herd.

Toby