Bull Development

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I have recently purchased some Gelbvieh cattle and I have 16 weaned bull calves. Any suggestions on bull development would be appreciated. I feel like they are getting a little pot-bellied. What could cause this? Any suggestions on feed rations would also be helpful. Thanks

Weaned calves at my place all get a little pot bellied at first. Don't worry. 1st, what ever ration you choose put them on it slowly. Always allow free choice hay. I like grass hay. The ration I use is: 36 lb flaked corn, 41 lb sweetbran, 4.5 ground sudan hay, 10 1b cotton burs, 8.5 of a protein supplement. Added in with 10 g/t Tylen and 30 g/t Rumensen. IMO keep it around 10 to 14 % protein. Lots of info from extention services from several states.

ther are a lot of differing thoughts on this subject...here's mine. once our bull calves are weaned and eating good i will get them on a rolled corn and ddg ration running about 14% protein with free choice hay (in the winter). summer months i use soyhulls in the feed ration and no hay. free choice salt and mineral at all times, and have other vitamins mixed in with the feed as well. i generally maintain feed at about 1.25% body wt. so a 600 lb. calf would get 7.5 lbs. feed. i like to give the calves room to roam. preferably keep them on a steep sloped lot. anything that you can do to promote muscle development and strength is good.

i try not to push any bulls to hard on feed...take them up slow. that way when it's time for them to go to work they won't fall apart. i don't know how many times ive seen people bring home a good-looking bull that has been in a short lot with feed shoved down his throat. about two weeks after he's turned out for service he starts looking like a rack of bones and begins to wander off from the rest of the herd to lay down a nap.

ROB

Caustic Burno":1b774zu1 said:
My question is why do you have 16 bull calves? They can't all be herd bull quality or are they?

If they got them papers they are.
You know that :oops:

MD

Tod Dague":4t2f35ev said:
Caustic Burno":4t2f35ev said:
My question is why do you have 16 bull calves? They can't all be herd bull quality or are they?
Maybe he started with 32.

Might be the area, there's a sale barn about an hour and half north and east of me that you rarely see a steer. Lots and lots of bulls, I don't think there's 3 guys in the area that own a knife or bander.

redfornow":2rwhuakf said:
Caustic Burno":2rwhuakf said:

MD

Thats no joke another wantabee seedstock producer destroying a breed by registering everthing that hits the ground.

Caustic Burno":30vik0g8 said:
redfornow":30vik0g8 said:
Caustic Burno":30vik0g8 said:

MD

Thats no joke another wantabee seedstock producer destroying a breed by registering everthing that hits the ground.

Its thanksgiving,
You have one more thing to be thankful for...

That it was a joke.

Have a happy thanksgiving with you and yours old CB.
Takin my girls to the grandparents in a few.
Then gonna steer a few of the boys.
Less to be thankful for from their point of view.

MD

Caustic Burno":2o27pkrj said:
Caustic Burno":2o27pkrj said:

How do you know that for absolute, positive certain? :)

Alice

Alice":3onh97i1 said:
Caustic Burno":3onh97i1 said:
Caustic Burno":3onh97i1 said:

How do you know that for absolute, positive certain? :)

Alice

Cause he is Fred.

He knows all an tells all....

But I am thankful that we have him.
As you can tell I am in a thankfull mood today.
Happy to be playin this game called life...

MD

Latest posts