Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
My new bull calf does something I haven't sen before, he loops his tail over his back and holds it there on a regular basis, kinda like a Spitz breed dog with it's tail curled over it's back. Have you ever seen this, or know why they do it?

A lot of our calves do it when they're trying to take a dump or if they're racing acrossed the pasture

I've seen them stick it out the back or straight up when they do that, but never loop it all the way over. Almost make a complete circle over his back. He hangs it down normally too.

RD-Sam":1gqty1gl said:
I've seen them stick it out the back or straight up when they do that, but never loop it all the way over. Almost make a complete circle over his back. He hangs it down normally too.
I prefer anything to the lazy poopers that don;t even try to move it out of the way.

Sam, I hate to tell you this but it looks like you have a severe case of "Piggly Wiggly Disease". Caused from lack of oxygen in the lungs. There is only one cure. You have to catch the calf on foot, turn it over so all four legs are up in the air and lay flat on it's belly, then give it mouth to mouth for a full minute.

It is a must that you have this videoed and post it on this thread so we can verify that the calf is cured. :D

I agree with Isomade it is the only way you will cure "Piggly Wiggly Disease", it will stop it from spreading to your other calves. It is very nasty.
Ken

some of our cows do that. It is like they flick at a fly and just leave the tail laying across their back. Then they think about it and move the tail.

It's no big deal.

I enjoy watching the calves run with their tails stuck up in the air. Maybe that is where the phrase "high-tailing it" comes from : )

chippie":3i3xcp2e said:
some of our cows do that. It is like they flick at a fly and just leave the tail laying across their back. Then they think about it and move the tail.

It's no big deal.

I enjoy watching the calves run with their tails stuck up in the air. Maybe that is where the phrase "high-tailing it" comes from : )
That's exactly where the term came from. Cattle running from heel flies with their tail in the air.

Isomade":1glz7t39 said:
Sam, I hate to tell you this but it looks like you have a severe case of "Piggly Wiggly Disease". Caused from lack of oxygen in the lungs. There is only one cure. You have to catch the calf on foot, turn it over so all four legs are up in the air and lay flat on it's belly, then give it mouth to mouth for a full minute.

It is a must that you have this videoed and post it on this thread so we can verify that the calf is cured. :D

That's not true. It doesn't have to be video taped.

Isomade":3kr6d1ll said:

:lol2:

Here he is.

510tailup.jpg

I am really sorry about this piggly-wiggly- syndrome. We call it nasse- trassel in swedish; alluding to the piglike appearence of the tail. The above stated treatment is the only thing that works I am afraid! :nod:

I'm going to be giggling about this thread, and that picture, for a long time. Just another little reason why we all do what we do. Gotta love those calves! :lol2:

papavillars":2txtssbv said:
I think it is caused by all that grass he is standing on. LOL

That's in the pen area, the grass is growing good now out in the pastures. Here he is on the left with his tail in the normal position, this pic is a week or so earlier. That is a heifer that is ten days older on the right.

510left430right.jpg

Latest posts