Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam":28ezk8j4 said:
What do you think of my 3 1/2 month old bull calf? That's the heifer he is out of next to him, and two 10 month old heifers behind him.

8212bullcalf3months.jpg

Pretty good looking calf.

Nice little bull. I really like his shoulders, and I'd like to see more of his rump and profile. Not like I'm any expert or anything

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try and get some pics from the rear when i can, I don't have any right now. He was born about the same time as 16 other calves from a commercial herd and he is one of the better calves. He is registered angus, and if he keeps up the good growth I may keep him and try him on some cows.

Is that his momma next to him, he seems to have the same set to his rear legs as the cow next to him? He looks good from the front, I am just curios to how he looks form the rear, he looks like he may toe out a little in the picture, and maybe a little cow hocked in this picture.
Again this is just what I think I see in one picture, that is why I like see them in real life, pictures are deceiving.

VCC":3c1x51q3 said:
Is that his momma next to him, he seems to have the same set to his rear legs as the cow next to him? He looks good from the front, I am just curios to how he looks form the rear, he looks like he may toe out a little in the picture, and maybe a little cow hocked in this picture.
Again this is just what I think I see in one picture, that is why I like see them in real life, pictures are deceiving.

Agreed on all counts including it could just be the picture. If it's not just the picture, you might want to look on.

Yep, that is his momma, and no i don't think there is anything wrong with his rear. They are standing uphill, could be part of what you see. I'll pay close attention to him and see if he shows any signs of being cow hocked.

Do you understand what is meant by cow hocked? standing up or downhill is irrelevent. If you look at the photo there is a clear out-turn to his hind feet, this is usually a result of an animal being too close in the hocks with additional set to the leg, it appears he gets this from the dam, though in the photo it is less pronounced in her. Maybe it is the photo, but if not then he would be steer material on our place, leg problems can take a lifetime to correct.

robert":3f7x98jn said:
Do you understand what is meant by cow hocked? standing up or downhill is irrelevent. If you look at the photo there is a clear out-turn to his hind feet, this is usually a result of an animal being too close in the hocks with additional set to the leg, it appears he gets this from the dam, though in the photo it is less pronounced in her. Maybe it is the photo, but if not then he would be steer material on our place, leg problems can take a lifetime to correct.

Yes, I understand what cow hocked is, and have not noticed it in either the dam or the calf in a normal stance. But thanks for the opinions, I will certainly look closer at both of them.

Latest posts