Bull as large abscess hasnt ate of drank in 2 days.

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
My 2.5 year old favorite man is struggling. Sunday when I feed heifers he is with he stuck head in trough and couldn't eat just push it around etc. So I looked and he was slobbering really bad etc. I got him loaded and to a vet Sunday afternoon we found a abscess under his Tongue and looks as nothing was in it. Vet said it should pop and relieve itself. He hit him with La 200 and on we went.

Now he is standing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy away from Heifers and I have gave him a big bucket of water and grain. He has eaten a very little bit of grain but hasn't touched water. He hasn't moved in 2 days or drank. Starting to worry about the boy. He did not lance the abscess as it was a day or so old real fresh.

Let me hear advice and how long he can go without water

Definitely not a best practice, but I have hydrated them with a garden hose while they were in a head catcher.

If were my bull, since was seen by vet a few days ago, would pickup the phone and call vet to see what he advises. Vet is the professional with best knowledge of this particular situation.

As Bigfoot says..
I'd get water into him, by force if by choice doesn't work!... I wouldn't consider hydration as optional.. everything else, well, I can't advise.

Well bull went from 0-100 in hours I believe it busted and relieved pressure. He ate grain, drank water and was breading a heifer this evening. Tommorow he could be dead but I am very happy with what I saw this evening. Never know in this business Ive learned to not think its all gonna be ok. Thanks for replies

Vet doesn't sound very impressive.
Happy it didn't cost you a bull.

Latest posts