Built Ford Tough

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Ive always felt Ford trucks could take way more abuse then a similar Chevy an Dodge could. My trucks have proved it many times over the years. Ok guys let it rip. What do you think let me here it. Let this be a friendly brand war an not get to out off hand.

Been there done this too many times. I will let cowgirl280 and critter deal with the other brands. :lol:

Disagree. The Cummins engine is far tougher than either the DMax or the Powerstroke. Dodge's solid axle is tougher than any IFS system, although it certainly has a weak point at the ball joints. This is easily cured with the addition of good quality aftermarket ball joints. Ford's dual mass flywheel was easily one of the worst ideas ever, especially for abusive owners. Dodge unfortunately followed suit with the G56, but the NV5600 equipped trucks had a great solid flywheel. Dodge's Dana 70/80 hybrid was meatier than either the GM corporate or Ford's Dana 70.

Bear in mind that I'm talking about 2500/3500 class trucks. I won't comment on 1500s.

Rod

flaboy?":27yv2anm said:
Been there done this too many times. I will let cowgirl280 and critter deal with the other brands. :lol:

Why me? Ok Ill start with Dodge. What does that mean anyway?

From websters dictionary
dodge
–verb (used with object) 1. to elude or evade by a sudden shift of position or by strategy:

I think they are telling us something. :shock:

RebelCritter":2bm0p76t said:
Why me? Ok Ill start with Dodge. What does that mean anyway?

From websters dictionary
dodge
–verb (used with object) 1. to elude or evade by a sudden shift of position or by strategy:

I think they are telling us something. :shock:

Because you were so good at it before. :lol:

DiamondSCattleCo":n1wz830m said:
Disagree. The Cummins engine is far tougher than either the DMax or the Powerstroke. Dodge's solid axle is tougher than any IFS system, although it certainly has a weak point at the ball joints. This is easily cured with the addition of good quality aftermarket ball joints. Ford's dual mass flywheel was easily one of the worst ideas ever, especially for abusive owners. Dodge unfortunately followed suit with the G56, but the NV5600 equipped trucks had a great solid flywheel. Dodge's Dana 70/80 hybrid was meatier than either the GM corporate or Ford's Dana 70.

Bear in mind that I'm talking about 2500/3500 class trucks. I won't comment on 1500s.

Rod

Cummins is far tougher?...I guess you never heard of the thousands and thousands of 53 block cummins cracking in the 98-01 24V's...the 24V cummins have been anything but perfect...with the 53 block and the VP44 pump...they were a failure waiting to happen...the 12V and the newer 24V are good engines none the less, but Cummins did have a lot of trouble after making the switch to 24V

NamVet_Farmer44":2jj6tgc4 said:
Cummins is far tougher?...I guess you never heard of the thousands and thousands of 53 block cummins cracking in the 98-01 24V's...

Can you provide a link to the "thousands" of cracked blocks? The last numbers I got were less than a thousand (out of 1 million B series engines), and of those, Cummins replaced all of them that they were aware of.

I am also aware of FAR more 1 million mile Cummins engines than I am cracked 53 blocks. As for the VP44, there was nothing wrong with that injector pump, just the small banjos installed in the fuel system. Replace those banjos with some larger cross ports and all your injection pump troubles went away.

To even remotely suggest that there is an equal in toughness to the B series Cummins installed in light trucks is dreaming. The 7.3 Powerstroke is the closest, and still can't compare with the MTBR of the Cummins.

Rod

Cummins is bullet proof but so is the 7.3, dont know much about the dmax. My dad has an 02' superdooty with 200k on it, had a front wheel bearing out thats it, and its all we ever run anymore is Ford. Have a 91 7.3 which is pre turbo and indirect injection, it is pushing 500k hard miles, orig. motor/trans, gone through a few injection pumps but thats it, hellava farm truck.

I will say that there are lemons in every brand but for my whole family its all we have ever run is Fords and have been very dependable. Personally I have a late 94 (first year of the so called Powerstroke) have 120k on the clock and had no probs yet.

DiamondSCattleCo":3t429q70 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":3t429q70 said:
Cummins is far tougher?...I guess you never heard of the thousands and thousands of 53 block cummins cracking in the 98-01 24V's...

Can you provide a link to the "thousands" of cracked blocks? The last numbers I got were less than a thousand (out of 1 million B series engines), and of those, Cummins replaced all of them that they were aware of.

I am also aware of FAR more 1 million mile Cummins engines than I am cracked 53 blocks. As for the VP44, there was nothing wrong with that injector pump, just the small banjos installed in the fuel system. Replace those banjos with some larger cross ports and all your injection pump troubles went away.

To even remotely suggest that there is an equal in toughness to the B series Cummins installed in light trucks is dreaming. The 7.3 Powerstroke is the closest, and still can't compare with the MTBR of the Cummins.

Rod

Less than 1,000 huh?...out of 100,000 53 blocks out there...you really think less than a 1,000 have cracked?...give me a break :roll:

Agboy":1s2vwqh2 said:
Ive always felt Ford trucks could take way more abuse then a similar Chevy an Dodge could.

We had a 1976 ford f150 develope a crack in the frame. I like Fords and Chevys.

I would say everyone has a story.

Wewild":1sg406xg said:
Agboy":1sg406xg said:
I would say everyone has a story.

Agreed..I kinda of favor Chevs. mainly because the 6.5 has been good to me and the local ford dealers service department & attitude sucks .

the 7.3 Powersrtoke, 5.3 cummins are pretty bulletproof I know of several cummins with over a million k s(thats 600 thousand miles) and one 7.3 with a million Ks as well

Gave up on fords years ago. Gave up on GM in 93. Had 3 Dodges with cummins 200,000 mi. or more on each never any problems. I am religious about Maint. Tried a 2001 Duramax with the Allison. Tranny out at 53,000 miles warranty was 50,000. GM made me pay 1800 to get new one. They would not rebuild and told me I had to talk to Allison. Allison sold a new one to me for 1800. 2 weeks later engine took a dump. Tried to fix it for 2 weeks and they couldn't. I traded it in on an 05 Dodge. 167000 and its going great. Did have to replace fuel pump at 109,000. Buddy bought the 6 cyl ford 2 yrs ago & had 2 engines put in. Kept overheating when pulling. He bought a dodge when he couldn't run down the road with me and his was in the shop all the time. He was a Ford man bigtime.

JMichal":38q9p4lo said:
. I traded it in on an 05 Dodge. 167000 and its going great. Did have to replace fuel pump at 109,000. .

Buddy of mine had recurring trouble with fuel pumps on his 04..i believe it turned out to be a weak lift pump?

NamVet_Farmer44":rvqqdp3v said:
Less than 1,000 huh?...out of 100,000 53 blocks out there...you really think less than a 1,000 have cracked?...give me a break :roll:

If you can find an official site that points to more failures, then by all means, please post the link. My numbers don't come from internet forums.

The only 53 blocks that failed were ones with casting flaws in the thin area of the block. All other 53 blocks, while being thin in that area, were just fine. We had 6 53 blocks and nary a failure on any of them.

And there were more than 100,000 53 blocks manufactured. You forget that B series Cummins are in use in RVs, ag equipment and the European market.

Rod

If you have to repair a Ford you had better own a bank. Highest repair bills out of all trucks I have owned. Ford ,chev., and dodge. They all have there own problems. Cummins is by far the best of motors, the rest of the truck is junk.

DiamondSCattleCo":1yuw89d9 said:
The only 53 blocks that failed were ones with casting flaws in the thin area of the block.

Rod

The thin area of the block was the flaw of the engine...the water jacket walls on the 53 block were designed too thin...it is not a certain flaw on some 53 blocks, that's just how every 53 block was made...they are all like that...and the thing is...most of the people out there running a cracked 53 block dont even know it

NamVet_Farmer44":hx5hntal said:
The thin area of the block was the flaw of the engine...the water jacket walls on the 53 block were designed too thin...it is not a certain flaw on some 53 blocks, that's just how every 53 block was made...they are all like that...and the thing is...most of the people out there running a cracked 53 block dont even know it

I'm not denying there was a thin area on the 53 blocks, however the vast majority of them never had problems. The reason a few cracked in that area is due to natural flaws in casting. That, combined with the thin area, resulted in an overly weak spot prone to cracking. But make no mistake, you had to have a casting flaw in the thin area, otherwise you'd never have an issue.

Rod